1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appropriate behaviour interventions

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Poppet6, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Poppet6

Poppet6 New commenter

I have a child with statement allocating 2.5 hours to support him in developing appropriate behaviours in the classroom and to develop appropriate social skills. Does anyone have any ideas or activities they use for this. He is in Y5.

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

What is the appropriate behaviour he is struggling with?
    What are the social skills he is lacking?
    I might be able to give you some ideas, depending on what exactly he finds challenging.

3. Poppet6

Poppet6 New commenter

Using inappropriate language and making in appropriate gestures behind female staff. He doesn't really understand what he is doing but does it to make other child laugh. Social skills - at playtime he hurts his friend but can't explain why saying "my hand did it" etc.

4. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Have you tried a social story with him? Or 2 actually, separate ones for both the problems?

It is usually used for autistic children but I use them for my SLD students as well, especially for behavioural issues.

I assume you have tried reward cards or "I am working for..." systems where he gets a desired object or activity if he behaves well.

Another thing I use are choice boards, especially for less structured time like choosing or playtime. It has things like: on the playground I can: (play with the ball, go on the spinner, etc). If his hurting is because he doesn't really know what to do on the playground, this might help him to remember what he can do.
    It could also be because he wants to join in but doesn't know how to ask or the others don't want him to join in. In this case a social story would work best.

It would also help if the rest of the class doesn't laugh when he makes inappropriate gestures so that his motivation to do it goes down.

5. acharles

acharles New commenter

Why does he behave this way?
    Play therapy?