1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Approaching Ofsted

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hamjam, Mar 9, 2017.

  1. hamjam

    hamjam New commenter


    I have a friend who I undertook my PGCE with who now works for an alternative education provider in the west of England. My friend is deeply concerned at what they have witnessed, such as pupils not receiving the appropriate education that they should be getting (which funding has been allocated for) as well as a duty of care to staff and pupils. So much so, that my friend feels compelled to contact someone from outside the organisation, either Ofsted or the local education authority.

    I don't have great experience in this area but can I assume you can contact Ofsted or other authorities anonymously for this to be investigated?

    Thank you.
  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    If there are Child Protection or Safeguarding concerns these can be reported to the LA. Ofsted don't deal with CP/Safeguarding issues affecting individual children.

    Otherwise if it's really about the quality of education and leadership it's within Ofsted's remit. They don't normally act on anonymous complaints although they say they will not disclose the complainant's identity to the school without the complainant's agreement. They want complaints to be submitted online here You can't submit it without entering your full name and email address, although I suppose you could use a false name and Ofsted wouldn't know. I don't encourage that though. Unless there are exceptional circumstances they expect complainants to have exhausted internal complaints procedures first - staff grievance etc. Where Ofsted has got involved in complaints originating from staff in the past it's often started internally with a collective grievance from the union and then the union raising it with Ofsted.

    Your friend should be aware that Ofsted doesn't act as an education police force. Making a complaint isn't like calling 999, they won't send an inspector rushing round blue light flashing to investigate the complaint. If they think the concern is serious enough they can carry out an immediate no-notice inspection but they don't often do that. More likely they will file it for the information of the inspection team at the next scheduled inspection.

    It depends what you mean by 'duty of care to staff'. Ofsted will not get involved in staff employment disputes or matters about employment t&cs. That's outside their remit. You'd need to tackle that through your union or an employment lawyer.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

Share This Page