1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Approaching a colleague to ask for job share

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by pommerouge, May 1, 2018.

1. pommerouge

pommerouge New commenter

Hi,

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed somewhere, but I haven’t managed to find any related threads.

I’m currently on maternity leave and would like to return part time (I’m a primary class teacher). I’ve had a 0.8 request declined, so I am now planning to request a job share. I know I’ll need to explain how I envisage it working, which is difficult as there are no part time teachers other than in an existing job share.

There is one member of staff that I think may wish to consider reducing her hours, so I am considering asking her if she’d like to apply for a job share together. My only way of contacting her is via our school email addresses. Would I be breaking any rules or overstepping any lines if I contacted her to ask? I wouldn’t want to put her in a difficult position, so would make it clear in the email that I would be asking to return part time anyway regardless of her answer and that she shouldn’t feel under any pressure to job share if she didn’t want to.

Would it perhaps be better to suggest her as a potential partner in the meeting and let my headteacher approach her? I would worry, however, that she wouldn’t actually be approached as I’m not sure that the school are particularly willing to introduce another job share (which is why I would like to apply with a named partner if possible - I think any requests that would involve recruiting new staff will be refused).

Thanks in advance.

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

If you are worried about using the school email, why don't you email her with your phone number and ask her if she could give you a ring?

bonxie likes this.
  3. pommerouge

pommerouge New commenter

Thanks for the suggestion!