1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Approaching 60

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jesmond12, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This is the clincher for me. A chemical toilet would be purgatory, the smell of the chemical just says to me "this is as bad as things can be", parking in a lay-by overnight with traffic going by is pretty bad too. I know of people who have campers or whatever they call them and think they are wonderful, but they aren't for me.

I have recently - as in the last 2 days - come up with a massive project that I may commence with. I wish I wouldn't get such ideas, I get small business ideas monthly which I chuck out as I they usually involve having customers, something that strikes me as an unnecessary inconvenience and I have little enthusiasm for building anything bigger. I have enough to keep us going, more money means more stress and my ego isn't that needy.

Startedin82 likes this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

No smell - the lid is down, and everything inside is sealed off.

And I've never parked in a layby - campsite pitches can be very cheap, if all you want are showers, toilets, fresh water and electric hook-up. My van has a 2 hob gas cooker and grill, a fridge, a gas heater and electric heater, a sink with running water, electric lights, a solar panel, a Porta-potti, and I take a very small halogen oven, so can cook almost anything if I want to. Even in February it's warm and cosy, with the heating on all night.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@chelsea2 Sounds like you're a happy camper. The electric bike is the final touch I think. Brilliant!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Do you charge your bike up from the van when you take it with you?
    I originally wanted to create a camper from my van and then take a scooter or small motorbike with me for travelling locally, But the idea of an electric bike sounds good if one can charge it from the electrics of the van.
    Nor sure if I can get the missus to sit on the handlebar though! lol

sodalime and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

I'm pleased it works for you, I know a few people who have them and love them, in fact I'm currently tasked with watering the bloke across the road's plants while they are away in their van.

Too many negatives for me though, and you still have to open the loo to use it <boak>.

TCSC47 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I had my 60th earlier in the year, and had a joint birthday party with two nice young 40 year old ladies who had birthdays the same week as me (and work with me). Scariest bit was when it dawned on us that they were closer to my daughter's age than me.
    Ten years ago there was a big question mark over my survival. I'm still here and probably fitter than I was before the illness jumped out on me. Still working, with people coming and asking me to to things for them.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes - if you're on electric hook-up, you can plug appliances in the sockets in the van (obviously don't overload them!!). The electric bike recharges slowly (overnight for fully charged if it's almost empty), so I think the charge must be quite low (a trickle charge?).

TCSC47, oldsomeman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not a problem - lift the lid, and the waste chamber below - which has a pleasant-smelling liquid in it - is sealed shut. Do whatever you have to do, swill with the cleaner (also smells pleasant) then close the lid. Then push the button / pull the slider or whatever which opens the access to the waste chamber and everything disappears inside. if wished, swill with cleaner again. Close the slider to seal the waste chamber again. Voila - no smell!

Granted, you do have to empty and clean it every few days, but no body parts come into contact with anything unpleasant.

But I know it's not for everyone!

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You still can't see or smell anything except the chemical. Anyway, a lot of people only use it for night time or early morning visits (numbers 1s only) and use the campsite facilities the rest of the time. On a decent site that isn't a problem.

chelsea2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

That's the smell I hate!

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Fair enough.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's not for me, I'm afraid.

We have some friends who have been trying to persuade my sweetheart to go camping and she's been on my earhole about it. I said I'd make a list of the things we'd need. This is as far as I've got so far.

1) New friends
    2)

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

One of the appeals of a campervan for a single person is not having to pay a single room supplement in most hotels& guest houses - or paying through the nose for a small room, inconveniently located above the kitchen.

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

@chelsea2 has done an excellent job of selling holidays on the road and I concur with every thing she says. As I said earlier, we tow a caravan. For us, we want the space for the pair of us and our grandchildren. Chemical toilets pretty quickly cease to become a problem, using and disposing of the contents. You can find sites with excellent toilets and showers every where in the UK and the continent if you want though. We have a shower on board if we want to go somewhere without toilets or washing facilities. Just need water.

For me the ultimate so far has been Aldridge Hill campsite near Brockenhurst, New Forest. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aldridge+Hill+Campsite/@50.8292005,-1.5987128,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOlPY1WhwV8nA7_gFFa908LnYxmCLG7uZuJZlzz!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOlPY1WhwV8nA7_gFFa908LnYxmCLG7uZuJZlzz=w114-h86-k-no!7i3303!8i2480!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sbrockenhurst+camping!3m4!1s0x487385f1e0991b1d:0x6a12b1136de567af!8m2!3d50.829199!4d-1.598703

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...National_Park_Hampshire_Hampshire_Englan.html

And it really is like these pics! No toilets or showers but when you wake up in the morning to see horses walking around your site it is worth it. Also a lot of cycle paths amongst the woods in the New Forest for us and the kids. The only problem has been the traffic jams getting through Lyndhurst bottle neck, but that is probably what keeps the area special. Last time there we had to follow a family of donkeys walking down the road and who would not get out of our way. And for some reason, the horses would stand in the middle of the mini roundabouts making the traffic drive around them very carefully. Absolutely great fun. The grandchildren loved it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My SIL just announced her engagement- will be 60 in November .Personally I think she is barking but ....

TCSC47, InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Hi Poster,
    I am in my mid 50s and have been reading two books called 'The Gift of Years by Joan Chittister' along with another book by Michael Gurian 'The Wonder of Aging' both of which outline the realities of getting older but also the wisdom and positivity that should be gained as a result of 'The Gift of Years.' You have much to offer. In the UK, which is all I know, do not present the prospect of getting older as a positive experience whereas in many other countries around the world, provision for the elderly is more than nursing homes and 'being a burden..' on society.

I decided to begin reading the books when I lost my mother nearly 3 years ago at the age of 77 and vowed from this tragedy that I would prepare myself for old age, differently to her. Working for 50/60 years bringing up her family and never being ill where it prevented her from working. My mother sacrificed her own life to look after me and my siblings. In her early 70s she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia and had type 2 diabetes. Within 6 yrs of diagnosis, she had left this world. I was angry. Very angry and looked to blame someone. My mum's GP, the priest from her church; myself. I was depressed and felt that life wasn't great to live even though I have a great husband and 2 children who both got places at Oxford and Cambridge Universities - 2 yrs apart. I should have been able to see the positives but it was too difficult to see through the grief. After much deep thought, tantrums and reflections, I had to change. There was nothing I could realistically do apart from Live On and this is what I offer you.

These two books (wonder of ...The gift of ...), are helping me to view old age in a different way. Not with regrets but with infinite wisdom and usefulness. The society we live in is very much geared toward positivity and happiness being something only for the young. The man or woman of advanced years are fed rhetorics of illness, immobility, and that retiring is one stop away from death!! Yes, as blunt us that, in my view.

The perspective that I offer is one that is to take each day as it comes, fill your life with activities of interest - get in touch with organisations that may offer support and company but above all else., take life by the scruff of the neck and don't let the mostly negative rhetoric of the media and other ill thought out remarks, prevent you from seeing the beauty and wonder of another 20 or so years. A super innings.

I wish you luck and encouragement to take a different perspective.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Oh, oh, oh.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I took my Teacher's Pension early about 7 years ago.
    I claimed my State Pension at the earliest opportunity last November.
    Over a year ago I asked for a State Pension forecast and spoke to an extremely helpful person in their helpline.
    I discovered that I could buy two NI years from April 2016 that would boost my pension. I now get an extra £10 per week (£164 per week pension) and will recoup the NI outlay in 3 years. I'm then better off for life.
    You should be contacted about 3months before your earliest eligibility but the helpline bloke said it was apparently not happening for many people. He said that people should investigate what their eligibility date was and apply a few months ahead of that. If buying extra years, allow extra time to get your NI file updated. Only but extra years if they tell you that it will increase your pension.

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

69!
    ouls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me—
    That ever with a frolic welcome took
    The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed
    Free hearts, free foreheads—you and I are old;
    Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
    Death closes all: but something ere the end,
    Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
    Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
    The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
    The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
    Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
    'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
    Push off, and sitting well in order smite
    The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
    To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
    Of all the western stars, until I die.
    It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
    It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
    And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
    Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have to wait until 66 for pension. The forecast showed my lower than full (due to contracted out, I have over 35 years), but I do not see the point of paying extra NI to top it up by a few quid, when I will have to pay tax on it anyway. The difference per week is not going to make me wealthy, and I could snuff it before then anyway, so I'll keep my money.