1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Approaching 60

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jesmond12, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think free prescriptions is normal at 60. However, they were free anyway in Wales. I get a free bus pass for travel in Wales, but I can't use it in England, as I am close to the border. That sucks.

TCSC47 and nomad like this.
  2. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

new

in

sorry - typing on my phone!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My meds are free but no bus pass for me. As for state pension? That I thought my whole life I'd get at 60? Ha. Now looking at another two and a half years. When I'm 66. But I bet they change it before 2021!

As for caring about being 63? I've never had it so good. Yes, I'm very fortunate.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not exactly your whole life as the legislation dates from the mid 90s.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

True but initially it was supposed to be on a sliding scale system across the board. My schoolfriend born just 2 months before me got her pension on her birthday at 63 and deferring gained her an extra 10% per annum for every 9 weeks of deferment. Whereas I had to wait till I was 63 and and a quarter and deferring only gave me an extra 5% per 9 weeks. Those 2 months have made a big difference in our pensions, Those 2 months made a lot of difference and something that they didn't decide until around 2015 just a couple of years before retirement.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I am so sorry to hear this, OMK.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

So am I. Very sad.

TCSC47 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

That is one thing I am looking forward to. I need two prescriptions per month so it will be a good saving.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The legislation may have been passed but the existence thereof didn't make itself known to me until I was in my late 50s.

But hey ho. A different pension age for men was discriminatory so it had to be done.

I've still never been happier.

10. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

The Senior railcard has saved me a fair bit already. Get the three year one for £70 and start planning your jaunts.

TCSC47, chelsea2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Indeed it was discriminatory. Sad the pension age wasn't reduced for men to make it fairer, particularly as women generally live longer than men.

My residents range in age from 55 to 94, with most around 80. The thing I find interesting is the marked difference in physical health between the younger ones and the older ones, with the older ones being markedly healthier.

When I first started working for the NHS in the early 70s, the main focus of our R&D work was based around cancer and heart disease, which were then as now, the most likely causes of death. The difference between then and now is the speed at which they would get you.

Among my more elderly residents timely interventions, made possible mostly by technology and improved medical science extended their lives longer than would have been possible in the 70s, when a heart attack would kill you and there wasn't much that could be done for those with cancer.

What I'm seeing among the 55-60 year olds, but not the more elderly, is significant amounts of obesity, diabetes and COPD.

When people say that 60 isn't old, they are both right and wrong, as I believe is misleading about statistics saying cancer and heart disease remain the biggest killers.

To explain, an obese individual with diabetes and COPD is not a well person. Because of their condition, they may well not be offered the interventions that people without their conditions get, on the basis that they might not survive them. Ultimately it may be heart failure that gets written on the death certificate as the cause of death, but it's a million times more difficult to resuscitate someone suffering with other conditions that someone with only a dicky ticker.

The incidence of both diabetes and COPD has been rapidly rising over the last 30 years. What's to blame for that?

Let me tell you that when I was at school, there wasn't a single kid that sufferred from asthma and there was only a single kid in the school you'd call fat.

We all lived off home cooked food and fizzy drinks were only available as special treats. Our parents couldn't afford the luxury of ready meals, but you know what? It was possible to raise a family and keep a roof over their heads on a single income back then, so we could be fed well and work off the stodge by running to school, something I invariably had to do, as I was always late getting up, having spent half the night engrossed in a library book.

I still eat similar food to that my mother cooked, which nutritionists have variously claimed to be harmful or good, depending on which way the wind blows. I avoid eating fast food or ready meals and haven't touched a fizzy drink since I was a kid.

I'm not obese, don't have diabetes nor breathing problems. Fortunately, thanks to the EU, I didn't spend my early adult life up to my neck in muck and bullets like my most elderly residents had no choice but to, but managed to survive.

What might we learn from all this?

12. Ivartheboneless

Interesting post DoY. Research has shown, often done on the genetically isolated populations that show extraordinary longevity (somewhere in US and Japan mainly), the the ageing is often genetic. Often nothing to do with lifestyle, diet, exercise and so on. Some ageing factors can be alleviated by exercise and diet and so on. I remember about ten or more years ago when the beeb ran a series of programmes on the last survivors of the First Worls War. They were all remarkably sprightly and fairly healthy looking at over 100 years old. My childhood doet of home cooked food did not kill me despite chips fired in lard (but only once a week), a lack of variety, stodgy puds, pastry, red meat. Unfortunately many sources of nutritional information are as reliable as talking to your cat e.g Gwyneth Paltrow. Real nutritionists do know, but anybody with a decent education should be able to suss it out, whats good and wahts not. That Gillian Keith (the poo in a tupperware box woman) finally got completely discredited due to the work of the doctor who used to debunk stuff in the Guardian. If you'll forgive the cliche; take nutritional advice "with a pinch of salt." All the stuff about hard fats causing cholesterol and atherosclerosis was based on one study in the late 1950s, and became a mantra. The other one that pees me off is "five a day" invented (appaentlt) by the California Vegetable Marketing Board, to sell more veg! The real enemy is refined sugar, and when you think about the historical context, no surprise. Humans have been eating animal fats for hundreds of thousands of years, maybe millions. Refined sugars in quantity only began to be widely available in the industrial revolution. Which one is the human digestive system more likely to have adapted to? (In case you are at a loss, evolution takes many, many generations and we are only about 400 generations on from Julius Caesar!) Unfortunately, some of us have "age" genes. I have joints which ache ridiculously, which I at first put down to playing squash, but I now think genetics. In effect, barring accidents, wars and so on we are pre-programmed to die, but don't know when it will be. Extra factors like obesity and pollution shorten the span. Seven ages of "man"? The last two are "wrinkly" then "crumbly". I've hit "wrinkly".

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have started taking turmeric capsules which are supposed to be a natural anti-inflammatory, husband and I decided to get them after hearing of it being used on animals (presumably no psychological factor). Only a few days in and I do feel less achey in the morning, the only caveat being that I have been sleeping in a different bed for two days. If the aches return when I go home then a new mattress will change my life instead.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If you get the time, check out a three-part series called The Men Who Made Us Fat. It's on youtube or one of the other video sources.

It tells the story of how to avert a political crisis over the rising cost of food in the USA, a plan was hatched to change the way the yanks farmed. The plan was to increase the volume of beef farming, with the cattle being fed on corn. Corn farms became massive and produced a glut, which might have rotted, but for a new Japanese innovation that enabled corn to be turned into high-fructose corn syrup, which was a fraction of the cost of sugar.

Corn syrup then became added to everything and from the moment it did, Yanks started to get fat and consequently, our kids began to as well.

Nixon was in power when this happened and was intrumental in overseeing this dietary change, although nobody could have predicted the outcome. It was all about getting the most profit possible out of food and marketing it in a way that encouraged people to eat more than they normally would.

The residents I describe as being obese, grew up with a different diet to the ones we had. The food industry loved the fact that obesity was being blamed on fat, because that allowed them to market new ranges of low-fat food they could charge more for.

15. Ivartheboneless

There is another wheeze embedded in that; our sense of taste detects fructose as being "sweeter" than sucrose, so less fructose can be used to produce the same level of sweetness = bigger profit.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

As already mentioned, sugar is a great culprit in poor health. And the politics involved should also be remembered, all-be-it a long time ago. Nixon of course, again as mentioned, buying off the maize farmers in the USA, but even worse, the sugar plantations with the slave trade from which the descendants are still suffering today in all sorts of ways.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

One thing that is encouraging, nobody has mentioned smoking. Hopefully it is a dying habit. (the old puns are the best) One thing that gets me about smoking is that we have known that cigarettes cause cancer since the 1920's with one of the classic epidemiology studies. At the end of the 19th century, cigarettes were invented which allowed women to smoke in public, becoming a fashionable thing. 20 years later there was a massive step increase of lung cancer in women.

But, to our discredit, we allowed the tobacco firms to carry on selling coughing nails (another all time pun) for the next hundred years until we actually tried to do something about it.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Evidence doesn't matter to Maleficent. Nor does finance.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Jezer, I think you mentioned getting involved with a Men's Club. I am a member of one and I can highly recommend it. Incidentally NOT to be confused with a Gentlemen's club if you know what they are!!

We meet Wed. and Fri every week, and are very lucky to have an old Nissen hut on a farm which the farmer has graciously let us use. We have a large number of tools, mostly woodworking, but plenty of bench space and such. Our current club project is to refurbish our electrics and install 3 phase to run a metal turning lathe that we have. Our subs are very low and subsidised by doing community work fixing things. I recently repaired a broken door for a local family and saved them £100 or more for a new one. We do have to be careful on this though, with liability issues.

An advantage of the group is that we have a range of DIY skills amongst us to help each other. We do have a tea break half way through the evening, and a chat, but it is not the main reason for the club. Of course we have to be careful around Brexit topics at the moment.

Mrs. TCSC encouraged me to go because she was worried that all my activities were non social ones which precluded me from interacting with other people (I'm not sure if pontificating here counts or not). Apparently there is some sort of link with Alzheimer's and not interacting with others.

But whatever, I enjoy it.

20. Ivartheboneless

Respiratory diseases are now mainly caused by diesel engine fallout (particulate carbon and oxides of nitrogen) which are far worse than anything else produced by other vehicles. These were known about when diesel was pushed as a better fuel, but the emphasis was placed on carbon dioxide, which is only damaging to life at asphyxiant levels which would be ridiculously high concentrations. The rise of asthmas is a symptom of this.

TCSC47, agathamorse and cissy3 like this.