1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appreciate help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Aquamarine_blue, Apr 22, 2011.

1. I have just completed my PGCE - secondary maths. I want to start teaching (NQT year) with doing parttime (70%) and then fulltime later. Do I write in the application form that I want to do parttime or not??
    Few people have advised not to write and then inform the school if called for an interview. Would appreciate advice.
    thanks

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

If the school have advertised for a full time post then they'll want you to do it full time. If they are really struggling to attract decent candidates then they may accept you and employ you part time. However, it is generally an employer's market at the moment so chances are they can choose someone else who'll do full time. Maybe look for part time posts instead?

3. Thanks
    but do you think its ethically right if I dont mention parttime in the application form

4. I agree with Becky.

Don't think it is wise to ask for part-time when the job blantantly states full-time.
    No harm in trying if you get an interview, but could be viewed as misleading.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A couple of years ago I went to see about working part-time in an advertised post. Head saw me & said they could probably look at accomodating me. Actually achieved an interview (doesn't happen very often ) , but Head not there & interviewed by 2 Deputy Headswho didn't want to consider part-time, so I had to withdraw when it came to that point in the interview.

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I don't really think ethics comes into it. If it's a full time post and you're not prepared to do full time at some point you'll have to tell them - this could be in your written application, when you are invited to interview or even during the interview.
    Don't leave it until the point where you are offered the post (if this happens) as by accepting the post you are accepting full time hours.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you don't want a full time post, then don't apply for a full time post.

Or go and visit and ask if they consider job share.

Most NQTs do do full time as it means you finish induction at the end of the summer term, nice and easily.

8. Thanks to all of you for responding and giving advise