1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appreciate feedback on ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lizzii_2008, May 21, 2011.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I have to teach a 20 minute session on problem solving with money and I have selected the learning objective already but have 2 really different lesson ideas...
    1. A maths trail where children will be have to solve word problems and I might add a competitive nature and have them crack a code, so add an element of competition.
    or
    2. A maths investigation but I don't think I'd be doing much teaching as such in an activity like this but I would aim to make it relevant and purposeful to the children.
    What do you think?

2. I have a very similar task at an interview this week. 20 minutes for a number lesson of my choice.
    I'm leaning towards an investigation as I think the children will get more out of it in such a short time. But I also have the same concern about how much actual teaching i will be able to do in the time given. A colleague of mine is a numeracy lead teacher and she advised a mini investigation in such a short time.
    Circulating the room and scaffolding understanding with groups and individuals will demonstrate your teaching ability to the observer.
    Hope this helps

3. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Thanks for your reply!
    That's a very good point about circulating the room and scaffolding - although I've just been informed the class I am working with are of a very low ability so I am wondering whether or not they will have the necessary skills to manage an investigation.
    Then again I have the same worry for their reading skills if I give them a maths trail to complete!
    I've got some tough decision to make!