1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisals - how to make them actually happen?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by onbekende, Jun 30, 2020.

1. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

I've managed to get over 10 years into my teaching career without ever being appraised! How? Well, I've been blessed(?) with a series of managers who were just very laid-back with the paperwork (I did remind them quite a few times each.. but I felt if I'd pushed it even more, it would have started to seriously rock the boat!)

Recently at an interview, however, I was asked a question about what I saw as my development needs, followed up with "perhaps you could talk us through some of your recent appraisal targets and how you're addressing the areas highlighted"! Eek!

@TheoGriff and any other seasoned recruiters here - do you have any advice on what I should have said to such a question and perhaps even more importantly, in my next role, how can I go about making sure I get appraised - without seeming to be 'making a fuss'?

Thanks for your help!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious me!

Well, two points here.

1. Honesty is the best policy

2. Never be negative about a current or past employer or university course.

So, something like this, perhaps.

"Due to some unusual circumstances relating to my line manager, I have not had, recently, any formal targets set.

However, I have personally set myself the targets of X and Y, and have been addressing them by a, b and c. I feel that I have been quite successful since d, e and f".

My comments are that (a) they shouldn't ask what the unusual circumstances were, but if they do, you reply "I don't think it would be appropriate for me to speak of that", and (b) you'd better get down to identifying your personal targets, how you've addressed them, and what the outcomes have been!

Since you will have done this by the time you have the next interview, it will be honest to say this.

I reckon that if you set your mind to it, you must have had some targets for yourself.

N.B. don't say one of these targets is "To get another job away from this school".

As for how to get appraised, this is it. Sit down and work out what you think would be appropriate targets for you. Write them, well print them out.

Go and see your appraiser, paper in hand.

Say "I have had the most awfully embarrassing experience. In a recent interview I was asked "(say it)", and I realise I have just not arranged a date for an appraisal. Can we set the date now, I've got my diary here, and I've drawn up some possible targets, you might like to consider these, or any others of course".

You do not leave the room until the date is set. You do it face to face, not via email.

Ok?

P.S. I hope you have found useful advice on Interview for a Teaching Job? You could always try Amazon.

Keep safe, let us know how you get on with your appraiser

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  3. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

@TheoGriff Thanks so much for this full and helpful response!

I did indeed find some very useful advice on Amazon as you suggested :)
    And I've actually got a new job for September - although it's a fixed term contract, so it may not be long before I'm in the interview seat again - so your comments are very useful about taking control of the situation myself re: the targets.

Given it's a fixed term contract, and things will be topsy-turvy still in schools in September, I can well imagine appraising a temporary member of staff could oh so easily slip away again unless I'm pro-active, hence the original question but I will try to get this on the agenda as soon as I can.

I will let you know how I get on in due course.
    Thanks again.

agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on the new job!

Mind you, I'd still advise

because your new school may ask you that q about what your last targets were, at the start of your next appraisal! Or rather, your first one.;)

And this will still be relevant, too,

As you may need to say
    So don't neglect preparing all that, ready for September. Doubt you'll have any problem getting an appraisal, btw, as it's pretty standard. In most schools, anyway! :)

Glad to hear it! I've heard from a number of people that there are two good books there, on Applying and also on Interview, for a teaching book both. And with very favourable reviews, both of'em.

;)

Keep safe, everyone.

Twitter: @Theo_Griff

onbekende and agathamorse like this.