1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Sanz1981, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

hello helpful people.

Nearly one year of teaching.

Who do I have an appraisal with ? Head? Dept head? No one has told me who my line manager is, I'm assuming head of dept?

When do appraisals happen and what can I expect to be discussed.

Any negotiation tips?
    Anything else I should know?

Thanks all

Mar

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You should have been told this already. I'm not surprised that you've found a school that isn't up to this difficult task though.

There is an appraisal policy on your intranet. You need to find this and then all your questions should be answered.

Thought not.

I suspect that if you just keep stumm then you'll have to progress up the pay grade because no-one has bothered proving otherwise.

Check with your union though.

3. Sanz1981

Hey John

It's an academy and no one in my dept has told me. I feel awkward asking.

Any tips on what's to expect to be discussed? Do you negotiate then or with head, totally confused-- the structure/professionalism of the dept isn't great also.

Thanks for the reply also.

S. Mar

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If it is your NQT year you will not undergo appraisal as you will be completing NQT assessments instead.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Your in school union rep will be a good source of advice. I would also speak to your line manager - eg HoD as they will be the one completing your PM (although as said above if an NQT then a different system applies. In which case your NQT mentor should be a good source of advice!)

Anonymouse4 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, but I think the best way to start is to ask. A lot of schools have a performance cycle around the academic year, so it is quite likely that you and everybody else will be appraised either at the end of thois one or the beginning of next. I can't imagine that anybody would be put out by a question like this. The obvious person to speak to is your line manager, or perhaps your mentor, as suggested by others.

If you are finishing your NQT year this term, then you should be appraised on that before the end of term. Have you had anything for the other terms?

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  7. Sanz1981

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the problem is with the atmosphere of staff--continually trying to make me look stupid/laugh at a question I ask.

I don't want to tell SLT as they will refer me to HoD who for all intents and purposes is truly not a HoD. I've had no NQT meetings.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, I hadn't picked up that it was so bad. Doesn't sound like you can do a lot about it, unless there is a staff member you can trust to treat you with respect when you ask a question. Your union rep might be the person, assuming you ar ein a union. (If not, join one now!) An alternative would be to look at any shared drives on your school network - there is likely to be one with various policies on it. Or, alternatively, you could simply wait and see what happens. However, if you are coming to the end of your NQT year, the school should be assessing you on it.

It also sounds as it it would be a good idea for you to start job hunting for September. The atmposphere you descibe is not one I would care to work in.

JohnJCazorla and Anonymouse4 like this.
  9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you are an NQT you should be part of proper induction assessments and procedures. Normal appraisal starts in year two when you have passed your NQT year. I am worried that you say you have had no NQT meetings.

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  10. Anonymouse4

Anonymouse4 Occasional commenter

As someone who has been HoD and Subject Mentor to a couple of NQTs, my understanding (from the professional mentor in my school) was that pay progression to the next increment was automatic if you passed your NQT year.

However, my NQTs always went through the PM system with me as line manager anyway so they could familiarise themselves with it for the following year and I always made sure their targets were manageable and and rather than doubling up the evidence it all just went straight into the NQT folder as a way of bolstering their evidence.

You sort of have two options. Option 1: Keep your head down, get no support, miss out on crucial development and guidance, feel inadequate and stressed and undervalued. Then, at the end of the year, your PM and SM might weasel you through by writing some BS report and you get your NQT Year signed off but you know there was no actual development or recognition of your skills. Or the weasels fail you, muttering excuses and accusations under their breath, you complain about the lack of support and get the NQT Year signed off by default but, again, know there was no development or recognition of your skills.

Option 2: (and this is the difficult option) Be a beacon of leadership and high standards in your school. Make your NQT folder amazing. Seek out the real experts in your school and make them your unofficial mentors. Pin down that HoD (who is probably overworked) and extricate all of their best educational tips from them and try to make their mentorship of you something that also alleviates some of their pressures (I always got my NQTs to help with departmental stuff-what are you good at??? Making resources? Organising? Extra curricular?). If there is no program of workshops for NQTs in your school, find out if another school is doing them and see if you can go join with their NQTs. Be loud and proud of of all the great stuff you do and if any other colleague tries to laugh at you or make you feel stupid, recognise that this behaviour comes from a place of them feeling inadequate and undervalued by the system they work in. Just raise an eyebrow and don't take it personally.

Choose Option 2. Start looking for a better school. Leave the PM stuff for this year but make sure that NQT folder is amazing. If you are there next year, make sure you are making noise about targets and the PM system straight away in September! Refuse to become another one of the zombies. They'll be some staff there whose light has not yet been extinguished. You will feel like a breath of fresh air to them. If there really are none left, look for network meetings across the area. What's that networking thing? TeachMeet? Might be worth seeing if anyone's organising a TeachMeet in your area. If they aren't, organise one yourself!!

Best of luck. I'm sorry this is your experience in your first year. It's an absolute travesty but your colleagues are probably not bad people, just terribly terribly unhappy. Be careful-it's contagious!!!!

cach9801 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  11. Anonymouse4

I've just suddenly had the thought you've only got one term left. Have a look at that folder of evidence you've been compiling. Work on it over Easter. Identify any standards where you have little evidence and make a plan of how you get the evidence. If your professional development has really been left by the wayside by the colleagues who should have been supporting you, best to have a quiet word with the union now, before the Easter holidays start.

I'm currently signed off with Stress. In my mind it's still, like, January! :oops:

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Under th old system, it was automatic if you had worked for long enough in a school year, regardless of NQT status. Under the current system, it depends entirely on a school's pay policy. Some schools may well have decided to use passing NQT as a way of deciding the next pay rise. I actually have my doubts as to the legality of it, if it means that somebody on 0,5 timetable would not get a rise until they had been there for two years, so that they lost out from being part time.

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  13. Anonymouse4

Thanks for pointing this out. Yes OP needs to check!

Piranha likes this.