1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal Targets

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by delmamerchant, Oct 8, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Kept hesitating about signing off on my targets for some reason.

Then it hit me. They want me to track a particular group of students but we have a member of staff in the team who is responsible for this key stage, so now I am thinking why should I have to track these students in that particular key stage. I do not teach them.

Secondly, I only work 3 days a week. Do I still have to have 3 targets?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

@delmamerchant
    I agree about not signing off if you're sure you don't want to. Seems a waste of a target if tracking means cobbling together a few statistics for a specific cohort! Are you the line manager for this member of staff?

Almost certainly you have to do 3 targets unless the school PM policy says otherwise.

3. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

My school is 3 targets for full timers and 2 for part timers.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I can't think why the OP should have any responsibility for pupils they don't teach (unless, perhaps, they line-manage the person who does that anyway). I wonder how it would work if the OP decided some intervention was crucial and the other teacher(s) involved with that group of pupils disagree.

Or is this just about statistically monitoring the group's progress? If so, what's the point?

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There should be no more than 3 objectives. Which is fine. Three. Fine.

Because of the following. (Thanks, NASUWT).

Objectives must not add to your workload.

They should not require the collection of portfolios of evidence. They should not require working at weekends, evenings or during the holidays.

Compassman likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go back to your appraiser and clarify exactly what is expected. Mention that you are happy to track the progress, but as you have no responsibility for the staff teaching, nor for the pupils, there will be little you can do if the tracking flags up problems. Then let them decide if they are happy with this or not. If so, ensure it is clear that your responsibility is merely to track, nothing more.

If the target is to merely track the progress, but have no responsibility for the teaching or ensuring progress, then I'd accept it like a shot! Tracking is easy, it's the getting the bug gers to actually learn anything that's hard!

Rott Weiler and FrankWolley like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Do not agree to data-based targets. They are not valid, lack rigour and your pay should not depend on such things.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. cingirl

cingirl New commenter

We do 3 targets for full time staff and 2 for part time - check with your union.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I had 3 targets as 0.6.

The objectives are not additional to your normal duties. They are a way of concentrating your mind on certain aspects of your duties. Prioritising. They are part of your workload. But these are the ones by which you will be particularly judged. The number of objectives doesn't increase what you have to do.

10. delmamerchant

Thank you for your advice. I do not manage the staff that teach these pupils. Also, to have to go onto the system, go through data, find out what particular lessons they are in, email teacher to say that I am coming to observe them in lesson is all very time consuming. Then to try and discuss with teacher what could possibly be the reason that they are not achieving is time consuming. Secondly, a member of my department is actually the KS3 lead so surely this is something that they should be doing.

In addition, I am not sure how this is in anyway going to contribute to my professional development.

11. delmamerchant

This is good as, I will have to look specifically for the data and teaching timetables for these students. Does not appear to be something that I am at all interested in.

12. delmamerchant

I have looked but it is not written anywhere. Than you.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. delmamerchant

I understand what you are saying but tracking is extremely time consuming. Accessing individual tracks and timetables, finding out who the teacher is and when the lesson is, comparing it to my existing TT.

14. delmamerchant

Can I come and work at your school?

15. delmamerchant

No.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Surely 'tracking' is merely tracking progress? You just log in to whatever system your school uses and find those children and highlight success and failure.
    Yes a little time is needed, but not a lot and it's still heaps less stressful than being responsible for progress.

17. delmamerchant

I have to also go into their lessons and observe them.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O dear.
    Additionally you're going to have to do all of that with the perpetual question "why am I doing this?".
    Additionally you are going to have to tell the people that you are observing in order to achieve this, that it is good for them
    It's like being sent round a multi dead-end maze with boulders strapped to your back.
    It's not much like teaching really, is it?
    Meanwhile some children somewhere need something,
    You can just about hear them somewhere beyond the exit of the maze.

Mrsmumbles and JohnJCazorla like this.
  19. delmamerchant

yep. and those children who need something have been stuck in mainstream classes this year as opposed to letting me run targeted and specific lessons for them.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm really sorry for you. Your target sounds utterly dreadful, like a summary of everything wrong in schools, but being used as a measurement of how good you are, because it is a pm target.
    I hope it doesn't eat into your psyche, that you either achieve a modification of it, or that you find a way to implement it without landing yourself in any sort of doodad.