1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal targets for HoD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by captain_picard, Sep 26, 2019.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a new HoD and have a meeting with SLT next week to discuss my performance management targets.

Could I please ask for the kind of targets/examples of targets that you set for yourself as HoD?

Many thanks!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

When I became HoD by internal promotion (so therefore knew the dept reasonably well) I discussed what we wanted to do with the team, devised a development plan that responded to that and to whole-school goals, and then set that up as my targets for the next term, year and 3 years. I think that's what we'd all do - set targets that reflect the way we intend to develop the department.

3. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I generally get the "improve results target"...not sure most would discuss appraisal targets on tes

4. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Thanks for the replies!

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The targets I was set tended to be in three categories. They were a) results across the department, b) results for my teaching group (s) and c) a departmental development target. I had a lot of flexibility in setting the first two targets - departmental results would be based on either A level or GCSE depending on which area was the priority that year, personal results were based on a group or groups of my choice (in Science we usually taught multiple Yr 11 groups each year) and the departmental target would be an area of curriculum that we would be looking to overhaul that year either linked to the whole school development plan or the departmental development plan.

border_walker likes this.