1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal- pupil progress target

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by NicoleK, Sep 14, 2015.

1. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Just wondering what people's thoughts are about pupil progress targets for appraisal now that there are no levels?

How are you planning to use them, if you are intending to still use them? We always used APS progress in the past.

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

You must be using some form of measure though? Can you not set targets based on these?

We will still measure progress from term to term but since we are now discouraged from accelerating pupils through the curriculum the focus is more going to be on percentages meeting age related expectations which is something you could set targets against.

3. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Well what we are wondering about, is what will be considered satisfactory progress/ good progress etc when, as you say, we shouldn't be racing ahead anymore? We have always looked at what satisfactory progress would be, and then set targets beyond that, aiming for outstanding progress. Easy to do with APS. Doesn't work at all well with the new system.

Is satisfactory progress moving from expected level Y3 to expected level Y4 whilst in Y4? If so, then is moving from expected Y3 to exceeding Y4 good progress? If so, where can they go from there? It just doesn't work trying to shoehorn the old ideas of good and outstanding progress into it. They are meant to reset at the start of each year effectively, aren't they? So someone who was exceeding Y3, will reset to be emerging Y4 initially, although they may reach expected before other children?

We are using target tracker, so 6 steps of progress in a year. Over the last few days, I think we have come to the conclusion that you have suggested, which is that % at expected level will work. Doesn't really address progress though, and encourages staff to focus strongly on those just below expectation.

Just not confident with any idea that I come up with, because they either end up being unfair to staff or have no good progress measure. Now there's no "minimum two levels' progress" in KS2 or anything similar as a guide, it's all a bit muddy as far as progress goes. I know they are going to decide after they receive all the tests back, what the progress measure will be for KS1-KS2, but that doesn't help us to set appraisal targets now.

Rang round all the local schools to try and steal ideas and not a single one had a clue what they were going to do. I've just tied myself up in knots and gone round in circles, even just typing this post to be honest!

4. Beltane_51

Beltane_51 New commenter

I agree! Very confusing eh? I've been teaching for about 22 years now and I am more confused than ever. I'm using a combination of dice and dried chicken bones cast onto a velvet tablecloth to work out my progress this year x

Ruthiesword likes this.
  5. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Sounds like the best suggestion I have had so far. I'm putting it the policy!

Beltane_51 likes this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I think a few heads need to read this excellent site re the statistical validity of target setting, and how teachers impact on progress, and just how complicated the whole process is. Teachers are being held waaaay too accountable

http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/

7. Scintillant

Schoolboy error is a very apt name given your post...

8. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

I'm sure it's worth reading, but the layout of that blog is horrible!

9. Scintillant

Get over the layout

It's a fantastic blog and shows up the level of statistical knowledge - and the misuse of statistics - in schools. I've seen such misuse first hand. It's embarrassing and widespread. Same with Ofsted, RAISEOnline etc, A very poor understanding of what can be read into even basic data. Teachers have an impact on learners, of course, but it's a very complicated relationship. SLTs, Ofsted and governors have been misusing and misreading statistics and data for years. That seems to be ending, hopefully.

10. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Doesn't really help me set this year's appraisal targets though, interesting as it may be!

11. Scintillant

It might make you think more deeply about the validity of what you're doing.

12. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

The new curriculum seems to be more attainment based as opposed to progress. Especially considering that at KS2 the children will be given working below, working towards or working at age related expectations. No mastery, no above.

I would set targets on % at age related and you could focus on specific children that were working below in the previous year to get them back on track.

13. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

That works to a degree except all ARE are now much higher so if you read y6 writing interim average is more like a 5c/b than a 4b and yr2 ARE is more like 3c than 2b. So even attainment targets are going to be pretty rubbish this year and probably until things settle down a bit in the next few years. We are deliberately setting vague targets for that reason, probably with the aid of dice & chicken bones thanks to the genius of Beltane_51!

14. gerg27

gerg27 New commenter

Wouldn't basing targets on what the teacher can control, e.g. identifying underperforming students and arranging intervention, providing specific differentiation, putting in place a behaviour plan etc. etc. be fairer, SMARTER and more motivating for a member of staff?
    There are so many variables affecting progress - ultimately a student's performance can not fully be controlled by a teacher, you may as well use dice and chicken bones (sorry, lost my sense of humour a bit with this, I think it is totally unfair to give teachers targets based on pupil progress data alone).

15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

My goodness how sensible and SMART that would be. Unfortunately, you can't easily transfer those kinds of parameters to an Excel spreadsheet in order to compare and contrast teaching staff and thus award pay rises, so it's best to give them all a numerical and frankly, unSMART target to reach.

16. Scintillant

An intelligent and evidence-based approach

No wonder it hasn't generated a response

snowyhead likes this.
  17. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Not sure why you would need an excel spreadsheet, just write it on paper no hassle with numbers then.

18. e_rift

e_rift New commenter

I thought they couldn't use data driven outcomes as a target?

19. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Setting any data related target - in a world of assessment where we know NOTHING for certain - is a complete waste of time and impossible for any teacher to meet. Don't do it. In a primary school we don't even know what 'expected' "looks" like and how on earth do you measure progress... You can't! How about: teach good lessons, which the kids enjoy and learn stuff in....

20. Scintillant

100%

No one should be agreeing to data related targets

Although Ofsted, in their usual not fit for purpose manner, seem to be behind the curve on it as ever.