1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal/observation in Independent?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Progressnerd, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Hi all

I started at an independent secondary day school from January and am really enjoying it after 6 years in state education!

Since I have worked here no one has mentioned lesson observations or appraisal to me.

Just wondering what people typically do in independent for this sort of stuff? I'm used to being scrutinised and checked up on constantly but it doesn't seem to happen here.

ATfan likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You are trusted. It's quite a relief, isn't it? However there will be some sort of system and you do need to ask or check the staff handbook. In my limited experience some of the appraisal processes are really going through the motions for staff who are doing OK.

3. Thebeak

Thebeak New commenter

We get a couple of observations in the first year as probationers, but after that it’s one every two years, which is nice but the infrequency makes them quite nervewracking when they do come round

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We just have SLT continually wandering about...it's fab.
    Occasionally they call it a learning walk and stay a bit longer meaning they can tell you something or other, but usually it's just popping in and out.
    They are all nice, so it's lovely.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, most of the "observations" during my 40 years in the independent sector consisted of the head or a deputy popping in for a couple of minutes with a prospective parent on guided tour. As it should be. :)

6. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

i would like to work in your indy schools as my experience is totally different (it is as described by the OP).