1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal help

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cmclean619, Jun 5, 2020.

1. cmclean619

cmclean619 New commenter

Hi there,

Need some help on how appraisals work to advance to the next pay scale - haven't done this before!

I've just finished and passed my NQT year in a secondary school. I negotiated my contract to start at M2 pay when I started last September. I'm ending my contract with that school at the end of this year on good terms and will be moving to another area to start a new job in a new school this coming September.

In my job interview for this new position they wouldn't accept me going straight onto M3 pay, but would be willing to hold an appraisal in November. They offered my pay to start on M2 again like last year. However, I'm not sure if they meant this November or the next one in 2021.

I don't exactly know how appraisals work. A friend told me that employees have an appraisal period, usually one year. So since I've just finished my NQT year, she says that was my appraisal period completed and passed. There should be no issues getting bumped up to M3 in line with the school policy.

But this was done at my previous school. My question is does that appraisal period count even though it was during a previous employment and an appraisal in November would be valid to move me up the pay scale to M3 - or would the new employers want to hold me at M2 until I complete another appraisal period, this time within their school, for another year on the same pay grade?

If anyone could help advise in any way it would be very helpful, as I haven't fully accepted the contract yet and this could be important in deciding!

Thank you,

Greg

2. pauly22

pauly22 New commenter

The new school can start you at whatever pay level they want - if they wanted to they could even bump you back down to M1. Whether or not you have successfully completed an appraisal period at your current school means nothing if you are moving schools.

I would suggest it sounds like they are saying to you in September they will pay you at M2 but will review this in November, with a view to moving you up to M3 if they are happy with your performance so far. It sounds like you have already verbally accepted the job so you may not have much for for negotiation. Maybe just clarify with them that they do mean November 2020 and not November 2021.

border_walker and strawbs like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As @pauly22 says, what happens at one school has little to do with what happens at the new school. The new school doesn't have to follow any decisons or procedures of the old school. There are no national rules or procedures for deciding whether to pay you M2 or M3.

border_walker and strawbs like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It sounds to me that you have accepted a role starting on M2. However, the promise of a review in November suggests that, if you get off to a good start, they might move you up, which could then be backdated to September. I would imagine that they want to be confident that you are as good as an average teacher with two years' experience.

I am not sure what you mean by "fully accepted". Unless you accepted subject to salary agreement or similar, you have either accepted or you haven't. Think of it another way - if the school announced that the deal was off, would you be arguing that you have an agreement with them?