1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal for struggling teacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by hollydog2010, Dec 28, 2019.

1. hollydog2010

hollydog2010 New commenter

I was invited to an appraisal meeting for 'struggling teachers' by my chair of governors. I am a head teacher in a primary school . The LA have said we are at risk of going into RI at our next inspection due to last 3 years SATs results and progress . If I try to explain the context around this ie higher than NA SEND pupils, pupils with mental health issues , pupils from chaotic backgrounds, mixed age classes with inadequate class support , budget restraints, I am accused of being defensive. I have been off sick now since September as I cant face my job. I have been made to feel a failure . After 28 years teacher an 14 in headship ,I am deeply depressed and saddened . I object to being referred to as a 'struggling teacher' I had a successful appraisal and have achieved last years targets. I feel I am being treated unfairly . Any advice

2. install

install Star commenter

Union. You are ill - check with them if this is appropriate.

Are there other schools in the LA also at risk? Is this a new CofG and what is your working relationship with them like?

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Are you willing to accept spending your life feeling like this for the sake of a job?

stop caring, and think of something else to do.

It only a job, it isn't worth this.

Flanks and install like this.
  4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

GP - I assume you already have this sorted if you are signed off.
    UNION - now.
    Occupational Health - possibly.

PM me. I know exactly what you are going through, as will many others on here. In fact, you'd be surprised how many people have been in very similar scenarios. I assume the meeting with CoG happened before you were off sick?

5. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

You are sick, the CoG (and I am one) should not be contacting you during your sick leave unless it is with a bunch of grapes, I can only assume that this is being done on the advice of the LA. Please go to you Union ASAP and get them to explain you are not well enough to attend.

I am really sorry that you are being pestered during your sick leave and I hope that you make a full recovery.