1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appraisal as supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TheOracleAtDelphi, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Hello,
    I know this is probably the last thing some of you want to be thinking about if supply work is thin on the ground but do any of you have experience of having to do appraisals when working as a supply teacher please?...I thought not having it would be one of the few benefits of being supply but I found a thing on one of the Union websites that said it was recommended if there for a term or more...

pepper5 likes this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My understanding is that Performance Management is linked to pay and because supply teachers aren't paid by schools, they can't really subject you to any appraisal system. I had a long term (two years!) post recently and if I suspected I was about to be 'managed' I trotted out the argument that I could leave with a few days' notice (or even no notice!) as I wasn't bound by the usual pay and conditions. They left me alone after that! However, it meant my year group colleagues bore the brunt of what might have come my way. It's 'Dog eat dog' out there. I dare say other posters may come along with other viewpoints, but this was my recent experience.

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You cannot review last years targets

You cannot be set targets you cannot achieve

You will not be there to review not achieving these targets

Obviously someone has an hour to kill in their slt contract

The answer to appraisal is NO!

4. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

5. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

@50sman has summed it up perfectly!

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  6. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Thanks for your responses so far - the advice/nature of it seemed a bit bizarre because in schools I have worked at in the past appraisals seem to have been done on a yearly basis (not that I've ever actually been through a full cycle personally given that the only time I've been at the same school from October to October was when my first year was my NQT year so that took the place of any other performance management) and given that the targets involved GCSE (or A level) results it couldn't be completed until the following academic year anyway but I wasn't sure whether the system had changed and reviews were completed within the same academic year or whether it was different in primaries when targets can be set based on progress of children within the academic year because results come back sooner for external tests and can be done whenever for other year groups.

Sorry - on phone so apologies for any typos/lack of sense.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I suppose appraising Supply is possible in theory but why should any appraiser or appraisee bother with the half-hour minimum that each meeting entails. Not that anyone cares about any appraisee (or supply) views but even SLT have more important things to do.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.