1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appointing a PPA teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Apr 29, 2012.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Yes - only headteacher jobs have to be advertised (and there are ways around that too).

2. I disagree. Employment legislation, particularly that which relates to equal opportunities, requires that all jobs are advertised, regardless of the sector. Additionally, I'm fairly sure local authorities have to have a recruitment policy, which would require jobs to be advertised. That's not to say instances like this don't occur. However, they shouldn't - not just for moral reasons but for legal ones.

3. I thought that they had to be advertised in some form, although this could just mean putting a note up in the staffroom. Could be wrong though!

4. It can also be done through re organisation of staff. I worked in a school where one of the regular teachers was moved over to do a role like this because of medical problems and a general teaching job was advertised.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This is the legally correct answer. Morally people have different views and some guidelines suggest otherwise. But there is no actual requirement to advertise.

6. Only heads and deputies jobs need to be advertised externally. Legally, other jobs don't need to be advertised at all BUT if they're not advertised it can leave the head/school open to claims of discrimination.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And if they do waste everyone's time advertising and interviewing, only to give the post to the person they knew to be perfect in the first place, they get slated for that too.