1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying to work in an \OUTSTANDING"school? Would you?"""

Discussion in 'Primary' started by juliateacher, Apr 12, 2008.

1. I do work in an outstanding school and the pressures are different as yu always have visitors coming in to watch you teach or ask you how you do things.You neeed to do model lessons to teachers who do not have outstanding teachers in their school and it is very demanding.
    I was appointed as Maths manager and AST pending, have now just be appointed English manager and still going for AST as I have just been observered for Leading Literacy teacher.
    I love working at my school and yes you can go into an outstanding schoool and move things and add your own mark.
    Go for it!

2. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Thanks JT - guess they only appoint people who they think CAN!

You are rather more confident than me though!!!

Any further feedback much appreciated.

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Just because they're outstanding doesn't mean they don't have room for improvement, only thing is they have probably identified what it is that needs doing, e.g. when we got outstanding OFSTED couldn't find anything for us to develop that wasn't already on our SDP.

What it does mean is the improvements are not major big flaws with teaching, but rather tweaking, and that you don't have the LA breathing down your neck.

In my subject for example we are refused any consultant time for KS2 Maths as our results are not bad enough to warrent them wasting their time on us, that means that we are free to take on new things, adapt or reject as WE see fit, rather than if you were in an ISP school say and had to do things to the letter of someone elses law!

You will probably find that it's also a nice place to work, there is a great family spirit in our school, even down to this... a long serving (23 years) colleague got married last Monday and the Head made sure she would be OK on her honeymoon by going to the same place!!!! ;o) (a total concidence which wasn't planned!) Seriously though my colleagues, from cleaners to caretakers, to teachers, LSAs, TAAs, teachers, managers, HT etc are all wonderful and really supportive and interested in you as a person with a work life balance!

4. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Thanks Trinity!

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Also, in JTs outstanding school people come to visit your lessons etc, that's not true of all outstanding schools, no-one comes to watch us other than if it's something to do with our partner first schools and since we teach different age ranges it's not to pick up teaching tips, it's to aid transition.

In our LA it's ASTs who have lessons observed and we don't have any of them.

6. We were graded as outstanding in all areas in June last year. We know we are not perfect and outstanding does not mean that - we have areas which we are still working on and part of the outstanding grade is knowing what you still need to do and pushing forward. We have a very mixed intake and are about to get a children's centre which indicates the high level's of social deprivation which some of our kids come from.

We have more choice with regard to implementation as trinty said - we are not implementing new literacy framework until next Sept, although we are doing Numeracy this year.

In contrast to Julia though, our head is very careful not to put too much pressure on us in terms of outside visitors. He is aware that too many visits, and people offering us things because we are outstanding, could easily distract us from our key focus which is the kids.

All schools are different - I would go and see the school and see what kind of feel you get. Also meet the head and deputy and see how you get on with them - as a TLR post holder you will have to work well with them. Trinity's school sounds lovely - I would say that we work well as a team but that, like any school, we have a range of characters and some get on better than others.

Putting it simply - most of the time we're just like any other school but what do is effective for our kids. It might not be in another setting. Outstanding schools still teach kids!

7. "levels" - see even outstanding schools make grammar errors!

LOL

8. My school is a Developing Excellece Centre which means we run courses and training.

As a potential AST I was asked in my interview
    "All the teachers in the school were judged outstanding in our latest Ofsted as a potential AST how are you more outstanding?"

Love my school, and my HT! (Who is fab and in the regional finals for HT of the year)

9. Sorry JT wasn't meant to sound like an attack on your school - different things work for different schools and as an excellence centre you will have to do that.

I was just trying to point out that not all outstanding schools have to be observed lots and have lots of visitors to reassure the OP!

Sorry if I phrased it badly! :)

10. I was just trying to explain why I do lots of model lessons not all our teachers do and HT always asks you.
    Sometimes when a course is on it's just a case of the viitors popping in to your room, watching for a moment and the HT asking chn some questions.

Regarding different ks - we just employed ks1 teacher for yr 3 post.

11. Hi Poppychick, I've worked at two outstandng schools and one of the things I'd say they both had in common was a willingness to listen to new ideas & move things forward. Being outstanding isn't a destination, it's a continual process of improvement.

Go for it & good luck!

12. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Our last Ofsted said we were good with outstanding features. The LEA now say we are outstanding. It's a lovely school to work at and we are always trying to move on.
    Go for it!

13. I am an NQT who has worked part time for 2 years - now full time - in a school which was rated outstanding last month. Before this I worked in a school which has just been given a 'notice to improve'. The main difference I have seen is that everyone works together to support each other, new ideas are evaluated and taken on board if we think they are valuable, initiatives are followed through - not just given 'lip service', SMT listen to the staff before making decisions and the children are the most important consideration for all of us.

I would say - go for it - I absolutely love where I work now.

Good luck!

14. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

The trouble with descriptions such as "outstanding" is that they often reflect a particular philosophical view of primary education, especially the one which is prevalent at the time the judgement is made. The following comment is revealing:

Posted by katman: "We have more choice with regard to implementation as trinty said - we are not implementing new literacy framework until next Sept, although we are doing Numeracy this year."

... and here's naive me thinking that the frameworks were not statutory at all, and that each school could decide how or indeed whether to implement them. I do worry about the degree of regimentation that is occuring in primary education today, ironically much of it under the banner of "creativity".

Maybe the judgement "outstanding", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder....

15. would reiterate all that's been said. I used to work in an "outstanding"school and wish I'd never left! Leadership team, staff etc. all so much more open to ideas and able to give credit where it was due to people who, whatever their role or status, deserved it. There was a real feeling of "all in this together" and we knew we where valued and appreciated as part of the greater whole. I managed a subject and the staff were again, much easier to motivate and delegate to as the management models were seen to work and everyone had much more focus on their responsibilities as opposed to their rights.
    good luck to you!

16. One big difference I have noticed is the praise - HT & SMT tell you when you've done something good and there's lots of support for your ideas. Whereas in previous school people would look at me if I was barking mad if I suggested something. Now they just know I am barking mad but listen to my suggestions and help me to develop them.

17. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Is praise and openness to new ideas the sole preserve of schools that OFSTED have seen fit to designate "outstanding", then?

18. I'm not saying that just writing about my personal experience. I love my school but I loved the last one I worked at too! ;)

19. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Thanks everybody - think I will go for a look around then I may know.

It's been useful to hear about outstanding schools, thanks again.

20. The school I work in has been flagged up (by the LEA not Offsted) as 'causing concerns'. As a staff we have all the features that posters mention - SMT listen, everyone is open to new ideas, initiatives, creativity and so on. It is a great school, with well-behaved pupils who in the main are eager to learn. Our results are low, and have been for years now, due to high numbers of SEN and EAL. We take on every strategy and scheme that the LEA have suggested, but really feel that if they would leave us to get on with it, in the way we know works best with our pupils, results would improve. Problem is, it takes a few years, not a few months!
    Sorry for rant! Main point I want to make is, it's not just outstanding schools that are creative, open and supportive.