1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying to the upper payscale

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by helenmelon123, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Hello,

I hope I am posting in the correct place.

This is my sixth year of teaching; the year I assumed I'd be applying for UPS. Obviously with not being in school since March, this has pretty much gone out of the window.

Would it be really cheeky to ask about this since we haven't been in for such a big portion of this year? I had been given an area of responsibility this year which would have been good evidence in my application, but with not being physically in school, I have not been able to do it.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Ask your LM. My LM has said appraisal will be different next year due to C19.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

I know pay scales are totally different now, but back when I was in your position, in the school I worked, the head's policy was that everyone had to be on MPS6 for 2 years before she'd consider UPS1, so I don't fancy your chances if there's anything like that still in place. But you should certainly ask! Nothing ventured etc.

Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  4. msr2015

msr2015 New commenter

I don’t see why people should be held back due to something out of their control, similarly to how we don’t want to hold the kids back with their grades due to this situation. I would ask your line manager if there’s anything else you can do to give you a strong application for UPS. This shows that you are proactive and keen to continue your profession development.
    Also, if you haven’t already, check the school’s pay policy to see how flexible it is with UPS progression.

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

In my school it takes 2 years to go from m6 to UPS. It was the same at my last one too.

onbekende likes this.
  6. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Hi - I am in the same position. Had a good year 2018-19 with great results. Then this year happened. Had a very tricky cohort which were just starting to make really good progress and then Covid happened. So I have 1 and 2/3 out of the 2 years to show. But if I don't apply, and leave it, then who knows what is going to happen in the coming year with kids having been out of school for so long (I teach Y6 so will have Y5s that have not set foot in school at all during lockdown). My understanding is that the 2 years have to be immediately prior to the application so if I leave it and apply next year, I won't be able to use 2018-19. Dilemma.

I am doing my NPQML this coming year and various other bits that could be used towards my application so I am tempted to leave it for now.