1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying to the Same School Again

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Helen-Back, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

So, I applied to a school a couple of months ago and was rejected. Today I got a message on TES saying,

"We are currently looking to hire a Primary Class Teacher and your profile was suggested by Tes as a good fit.

We look forward to your application.

Yours sincerely,"

I'm half tempted to apply again.

Thoughts?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Is it the same position?
    Has anything changed that means you're more likely to be successful?

3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Why not? Situations can change, tweak your application, you never know.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

People apply for the same school quite often. I know a couple of people who have left one school, and later returned to it

5. 576

Yes, I know people who have, but that's quite different to reapplying, in the same school year, to a school that has rejected you.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im guesding the schools first choice has turned them down so they have had to re advertise. No harm in applying

Helen-Back likes this.
  7. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

I say go for it. Nothing to lose but maybe lots to gain.

Helen-Back likes this.
  8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Waiting for the cryptic crossword clue...;)

It's my daily entertainment while I relax by the pool.

By the way, I know of someone who applied twice in same year to a school and got the job second time. Wasnt even interviewed first time round.

motorhomer likes this.
  10. Helen-Back

No cryptic clue necessary with this one, but I'll see if I can come up with one for you tomorrow.

I'm going to apply again, nothing to lose.

11. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

This happened to me. Applied very close to the closing date the first time around & didn't hear anything at all. Applied again a few months later & got the job. I was later told that the first time around someone had already been given the position by the time I applied & so my application wasn't even looked at. Good luck Helen-Back!

Kartoshka and Helen-Back like this.
  12. Helen-Back

I'll let you know what happens.

motorhomer likes this.
  13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It happens when the successful applicant is told they will have to take a 45% pay cut.

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There's no harm in trying but if I were head I would be contacting previous applicants who I wanted to now interview. No idea why some don't.

576 likes this.
  15. 576

This is how I got my second job. A second vacancy became available and I received a phone call asking if I wanted it. They did tell me at interview that there was potential for another vacancy and that if that happened they would like to contact me.

16. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Result! I was told it was a 65% pay cut. Looks like the joke's on them!

17. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Yes, go for it, but do tweak your CV etc...

18. Helen-Back

Done and tweaked.

19. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I'm doing the job I was rejected for, so it can happen. In Feb 2018 the school was due to open that Sept, I was one of 60 applicants for this post and made the last two. They deliberated long and hard and decided to offer it to the other candidate. I got a different job in the same city. Jan 2019 and I found myself looking for work again as the school I had joined took advantage of the six months probation to let loose two UK trained staff, including myself, and replaced us with four others earning a fraction of our salaries. I knew that the person appointed had not joined the new school (she decided she wanted to sit in an office and not be hands on, they didn't need that with less than 70 pupils on opening) and had seen them readvertise, although by this time the ad was not live. I got in touch, they said come in for a chat, and the same day they offered me the post.

Almost a year here now, earning a lot more than I did in the other school, very much happier and have been told that they are very glad to have me.

Sometimes things work out for the best.

Kartoshka likes this.