1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying to teach at an Indy school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by reaf, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

Having taught for the last 12 years in the state sector and having reached UPS 3, I am now interested in a position I have seen advertised in a local Independent school. I have had a successful career to date and am currently a Head of Dept. I have also contributed to lots of extra- curricular activities and would love to do the same at my next school.
    I am lacking in confidence however, as I had some care-free years at University many moons ago and came out with a 2:2. Will I be overlooked immediately or do you think more weight is placed on career achievement and teaching ability/ results in the classroom?

2. Dear Theo,

Having taught for the last 12 years in the state sector and having reached UPS 3, I am now interested in a position I have seen advertised in a local Independent school. I have had a successful career to date and am currently a Head of Dept. I have also contributed to lots of extra- curricular activities and would love to do the same at my next school.
    I am lacking in confidence however, as I had some care-free years at University many moons ago and came out with a 2:2. Will I be overlooked immediately or do you think more weight is placed on career achievement and teaching ability/ results in the classroom?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends entirely on the school.
    And above all, on how you present yourself in your application, and then at interview.
    Do a search here on "application" to see what advice posters give about what to emphasise - mainly co-curricular activities you are just dying to contribute to.
    Go to JobSeekers and read their Welcome thread clickables on shortlisting, and follow the advice carefully.
    Lots of posters have found the Executive Summary gets results. It's free advice,
    and it works!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    The benefit of an executive summary
    taking Theo's Advice

Best of luck.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

The TES Careers Advice
    service runs seminars, one-to-one careers and applications advice,
    one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.

Look forward to seeing you then!

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

This time last year I was in the state sector, my 2:2 didn't stop me getting a job in an independent prep school, a colleague from my last school had an interview last summer in a prep school and her 2:2 was brought up rather rudely (i.e. 'what went wrong when you went to uni') as was one of her A level grades which was a D.
    So much depends on the school and what they want and the style of the headteacher. Don't let it put you off applying!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here's an interesting thread!
    How to get a job in a Boarding School?
    It has comments that are vslid for indy schools in general.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

The TES Careers Advice
    service runs seminars, one-to-one careers and applications advice,
    one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.

Look forward to seeing you then!