1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying to PGCE using same personal statement as last time

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by KylerS, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I applied very late for a Primary PGCE this year, as there were vacancies, but I was unsuccessful (the feedback was because I have a 2:2).

This September, I intend to apply to different universities and possibly part time courses. But having only recently written my personal statement, not much has changed to enable to me to edit it dramatically. Also, the feedback I have from family/friends is that my statement is good and needs little work. I'm also going to send this to my friends who are teachers.

Is it going to cause me problems (with gttr/plagiarism) to use the same statement, with minor alterations?
    Thanks for any advice

2. No it shouldn't be a problem I used one for 2010 entry, had an interview but didn't get in then used the same one but updated for 2011 entry and got in. Good luck :)

3. Personally I wouldn't use the same statement as it is no. You need to add more to it to sell yourself a bit more and explain why you're still a great candidate even though you have a 2:2.

4. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

i wouldn't use the same one either, if you were unsuccessful do you really want to use a personal statement that contributed towards that?

5. I don't think you need to worry. It's not plagiarism because it is your own work. There's nothing to suggest that there's any problem with your statement. If you applied to universities that ask for a 2:1 or above then generally they will not look at anyone with a 2:2 unless perhaps you have extensive experience. (this is what I have been told by pgce course leaders) If you apply to universities that are happy with a 2:2 then you should be absolutely fine. Apply early and good luck! x

6. Thanks for all the comments. I was under the impression that my application was barely looked at, because of the 2:2, and I will be applying to different universities this time round too.
    Does anyone have any experience with SCITT? Thanks :)