1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying to Indy schools!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Penguin1212, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi,
    There is a job that has come up in an independent prep school in my area, it is for a DHT and I am really interested in it.
    I am in a position within mainstream to apply for this position - with the appropriate CPD etc and I have read with interest the posts regarding the pros and cons of indy schools with interest but think I would like to put myself forward.
    Just a couple of questions....
    a) Would I even be consisdered as I have no experience of indy schools except that my sister went to one.
    b) Do they have to advertise even if they have a preferred internal candidate???? Like mainstream do?
    c) I would like to visit the school, but there is no mention of that in the advert - is it appropriate to ask? Although I have read the website in detail and school seems great.
    d) Who does application go to head or chair of governors? Do you have any tips for the appliction as it is set out a little different to the mainstream one and I want to hit it right.
    Im really excited about this prospect and think it could be a decent move. I think I could be well suited to teaching in this type of school...... School is quite big and well known in my area, we dont have many indy prep schools around here can only think of 4. So am guessing many other local external applicants would have the same problem of not having experience.
    Thank you in advance for putting up with my ramblings!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 If you have relevant experience, i.e. of managing either the curriculum or pastoral or whatever, yes. I have appointed Deputies from the state sector, and very successful they have been too.
    Q2 No. And actually, neither do maintained schools . . . you've got that bit wrong! They have to advertise for Heads (except in special cases), but no-one else.
    Q3 You can try asking - but it is a lot less common in indy schools to have a visit before applications. You normally have a full visit before the interviews.
    Q4 Who wrote the letter to applicants? Do you send your application back to the Head's secretary or the Clerk to the Governors? That should give you a clue.
    Read the clickables inside the Welcome thread here to get a good picture of indy schools. Do a search on "application" here to see other comments - your co-curricular contribution will be important.
    Go to Job Seekers and read the advice there in the shortlisting clickables for general application advice.
    And calm down a bit!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Thanks Theo for your replies, really helpful.
    Did not know about the advertisement of jobs,
    Very interesting.
    Yes. I will calm down :).