1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for UPS examples of evidence

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kennethbulger, Oct 22, 2018.

1. kennethbulger

kennethbulger New commenter

Hi folks,

I am in the process of applying for UPS 1 and have been told that by my HT that my application will not go through the threshold as it stands, essentially giving me the heads up that my application needs amending. I would be grateful for any recent successful examples of applications (I have searched online, but the few I have seen are not relevant or very much out of date) incidentally I am a primary teacher in KS2 responsible for a foundation subject. Any advice or examples for would be gratefully received.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Start with your school's pay policy and with STPCD. What do they say you need to do? And you might ask the HT why he/she considers it needs amending.

strawbs likes this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

examples from other schools will not be helpful as each school can set its own criteria for progression. As @Skeoch says, your school's pay policy will be your main source of information, and also asking your HT for clarification of what is needed. If you have an in school union rep you could ask them if they have helped anyone else in similar circumstances,

Piranha likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

STPCD says:

Under the arrangements, applications will be successful where the governing body is satisfied that:
    a) the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant standards; and
    b) the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained.
    Schools should make clear in their pay policies how they will interpret those criteria and what evidence they will take into account.

For a), you may be asked for evidence of each standard. How b) is interpreted is up to the school, but it should be clear from your school's pay policy. If this is not the case, the union(s) should speak to the Head.

As a practical step, do you know anybody who has moved onto the UPR recently who might help you?

5. kennethbulger

kennethbulger New commenter

Thank you, I have approached a colleague who went through a year or two ago. This is all very helpful in at least taking another look at it.