1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Upper Pay Spine - How does it work?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Rockmeamadeus, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I'm on M6 and so I suppose that this year I can apply to go throught "threshold"? When do I need to make this application? Is there a form to fill in? Do I need to produce a folder full of evidence?

Help guys!

2. I'm on M6 and so I suppose that this year I can apply to go throught "threshold"? When do I need to make this application? Is there a form to fill in? Do I need to produce a folder full of evidence?

Help guys!

3. Dodros

Dodros Occasional commenter

Access:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/payandperformance/performancethreshold/

and read the instructions there.

To access the threshold application form, click on "Application Forms and Support Packs: Round 6 (2005/06)." Right-click on the MS Word or PDF icon, whichever file type you're after (Adobe Acrobat file or Word Document), and select "Save target as" to download the form on to your desktop. If you intend to type up your application on the computer, go for the Word document option.

I've posted on my website a copy of the application form and the evidence index I completed and successfully submitted during the first Threshold round. I work in mainstream secondary as a MFL and SEN teacher. If you are interested in viewing my form and index, let me know and I will give you the Web address.

4. Dunk

Dunk New commenter

5. Dodros

You have mail, Dunk.

6. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

email me you home address and I will send you a hard copy of my UPS1.
    Shelley

7. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

8. L4xsh

L4xsh New commenter

Hi Dodrus could i have the link to your web site please?
    thanks L4xsh

9. L4xsh

L4xsh New commenter

10. Dodros

L4xsh:

You have mail.

11. Dodros

You have mail, juliateacher.

12. have your schools not spoken to you about this? that is shocking. they are supposed to provide you with support/training but seems to me that now that all the long-standing ones have got it no-one in management gives a damn about helping others coming up! I say this because this comes up here with shocking regularity.
    also becuase - although you can now apply at any time in the year, many schools/lea's have internal deadlines so that it is all dealt with at a particular time in theyear, usually the autumn term.....so I hope you have not missed yours. Get the forms, speak to HT, ask about training, and get it done asap.
    I can send a couple of samples too - more relevant to secondary.
    celticchickadee@yahoo.co.uk

13. Dodros

zeddy_bear:

I have tried, twice, to email you, but my messages have been bounced back "User unknown" by hotmail.

14. Hi there,
    I am in my 7th year of teaching but have been teaching in an independent school where no teachers have gone through threshold as we have a different pay scale. I am looking to get back into the state sector from September and will be applying for Head of Department roles.
    Will I need to try to get through threshold this year before I move or will it be OK because I am going for a promotion?
    If I do need to apply, I would be grateful if I could also look at some of the helpful stuff you guys have been sending to people.
    Hope you can help,

Thanks,
    Lisa

15. If your school doesn't ' do' threshold then you can't apply until you are in a school that does - all state schools - and on M6. Being Hod is irrelevant as hod pay ( prev MA now TLR) would be paid on top of wherever you were on the pay scale - so for examply initially you could be on M6 + TLR?, apply for threshold, and next year would be on U1+TLR?. The crucial thing for you would be to obtain a post where they agree to pay you on M6 plus your HOD allowance as you have to be on M6 to apply for threshold.
    However at present it would be useful for you to get acquainted with the threshold form and start gatherin g evidence, data etc from the last 2 years - or last 18 months plus the coming 6 months - that you will use to make your threshold application. It is always easier to do this when you are IN the job you will be using data and evidence from!
    Get a copy of the threshold form off the web, try to get some samples to see how it works, there are various e mail addresses on here including mine, and get the data etc put together that you will want to use and you will save yourself a lot of hassle come next year!
    The tricky bit is seeing what sort of thing you can cite as meeting the requirements - that is why looking at exemplars really helps. BTW you can use any aspect of your work not just classroom teaching so for example work as a form tutor, extra curricular, courses, examining etc can all be used.

16. Thanks very much for your help.

I also spoke to my head today and he said he could put me through threshold if I hadn't missed the cut off date for this year so who knows.

Anyway, I'm beginning my research now and starting to collect any evidence I can.

17. Dodros