1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for teaching work abroad (China)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by creativeone, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Hello everyone,

I wondered if anyone could help. I am currently starting to apply for primary teaching posts in China (most probabaly teaching English)for this coming Sept. I am going to send a covering letter and CV to a list of international schools in China (i have also checked the TES jobs abroad). I have updated my CV and included a covering letter detailing my teaching experience and job i am looking for. I wondered if i needed to include anything else in my covering letter? Also, it would be great to get in contact with anyone who has actually taught in China or is similarly applying for teaching work abroad and how they went about applying.

Any help appreciated,

Creativeone

2. Hello everyone,

I wondered if anyone could help. I am currently starting to apply for primary teaching posts in China (most probabaly teaching English)for this coming Sept. I am going to send a covering letter and CV to a list of international schools in China (i have also checked the TES jobs abroad). I have updated my CV and included a covering letter detailing my teaching experience and job i am looking for. I wondered if i needed to include anything else in my covering letter? Also, it would be great to get in contact with anyone who has actually taught in China or is similarly applying for teaching work abroad and how they went about applying.

Any help appreciated,

Creativeone

3. My dad lived in Shanghai for 2 years and teaching over there is something I really want to do and I am actually looking to do it this Sept also. Shanghai is a womderful palce, I truly love it! It is very busy and crowded but the people are very generous and warm. My friend is also teaching in Thailand and is loving it he is even staying on another year. Let me know how you go on your search

4. Congrats on deciding to take this huge leap into the unknown. Am currently teaching in Western China after teachng in UK for 4 years and boy was it a surprise! I must say I LOVE the students they are bloody fabulous and they make moving out here and all the trials of life worthwhile (yep even the crappy ones). The culture and stuff is uber cool too but be prepared for a big gap in ideology, morals & communication - its weird and very different & I am actually Chinese! Make sure whatever school you apply to you do proper research which I am sure you will but hey some people leap in blind, for first post I would stick to a big city that is used to foreigners e.t.c. Also be careful of schools that have private ownership, they can be very tricky! Bring your own resources as it is tough out here its a 3rd world country after all. People here in general are lovely and the kids are gorgeous, as I said geniuinely fond of all my students. Hope it goes well for you!

5. Hi siemi_li,

Thank you for your mail! I was so surprised and happy to reiceive it. I'm Chinese too or bbc. I'm in the processes of touching up my CV and doing my covering and supporting statement letter.I was going to send these via e-mail to several international schools in Beijing. Of course i will do research into any schools who show an interest, but really i'm quite limited to what i will be able to find out on the internet. I know from experience in UK you don't know i school until you're sitting in the staff room, looks can be deceiving. So i was also hoping through this forum and from i friend who is from Beijing, that a school would maybe be recommended.

I would love to chat more about your experiences and ask questions in the future, could i write to you via your e-mail address?

I would really appreciate any information and advice.

Creativeone

6. Hi! I have been working in Shanghai for2 years now, and am enjoying every second of it! Shanghai is an non stop city, loads of thing to do, never any need to be lonely here. And for China! Well what a great place, the culture, the people, food everything, it just a great place to spend your well earned cash! Fell free to ask me any questions.

Paul

7. China is an interesting place to work but it is also very dangerous for all teachers both expat and Chinese. There are no unions there and should any of your students fail their exams the finger of blame will be pointed at you with a moments hesitation. If this happens, you will find yourself in a very exposed postion with no protection or support.
    Many of the students although friendly to your face can be hypercritcal of you during their class meetings.
    You can expect to teach diligent, well motivated students but remember what they did to their teachers during the cultural revolution. If they turn on you they can be brutal.

8. Hi Paul and everyone,

Thank you for your post and offer of advice. I would be really grateful. First, time i've really used forums, but they are so useful! I've really missed out! Great for getting information, especially specifics. However, the last post was a bit scary! I didn't think too much about China's political stability, mustn't forget it is still a communist place. Nevertheless, everywhere you go there's some kind of bureaucracy, i've already experienced quite a fair share of in UK and i've only been teaching 3 yrs!

I would like to hear more about your teaching experience Paul, do you have an e-mail?

Creativeone

9. Hi! Don't be worried, the email you recieved was totally unjustified and completely wrong. Please email me at palaceforever@excite.com I will be clad to help you all I ca

Paul

10. My message was not 'unjustified.' Beware teaching in China. The wages are low and there is no job protection. Smiley, happy Chinese faces do not mean, smiley happy Chinese people. They have their dark side too.

11. Wages Low, I recieve 1400 pounds a month, which considering the very low cost of living, I live and travel very well. And what a great and safe country to travel around. I have never had a problem, and am more then happy to spend many year here. However, if people look for trouble, I am sure like anywhere you could find it. But i feel more safe here then any other place in the world.

12. 1400 Pounds or 20000 Rmb a month is a tidy amount. This of course is taxed down to about 18000 RMB and after you've paid for a flat, you're probably looking at about 14000 in your hand. Not much if you have a wife, children and want to save money for a pension and pay off a mortgage back home.

You also didn't mention that English language teachers get about half of this and the poor chinese teachers, a quarter. The golden twenty grand is only for the maths and science expat teachers.

13. my school pays my tax, accomodation, health insurance, return flight each year and i have been on courses in Hong Kong and Singapore. So I would say a good life, would you not agree!!! A wonderful place, wonderful people great school, brilliant experience and I feel truely blessed.

1400 hundred all mine! YIPEEEEEEE....

14. Hey Soncar,'
    I would LOVE to come to China....can you 'indicate' where you work and what type of school?

15. Their are many International schools here in Shanghai, and all give similar packages. Dulwich, british and Rego seem to be the most popular UK schools. The american school give a good package too. British school Puxi and the american school are a way out of the city, Dulwich is In a western part of Tow and Rego is close to the city. Come on over, Shanghai is rocking!

16. ah.....believe me, i want to.....it is my ultimate aim....unfortunately, i do not see the jobs, and when i do, not my subject areas...ggggrrrr.....will keep looking though, worry not :)

17. Hi I have been offered a job in Guangzhou, what do you reckon?

18. What subject area?I know Dulwich, Biss and Rego will be advertising soon, infact Dulwich were first of the blocks a few months ago, but plenty will be coming. So what area and I will keep me ear to the ground, where are you now?

19. soncar, can I e-mail you?