1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for teaching jobs after quitting an NQT post

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Sparkley84, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I started an NQT job in September and for various reasons, I left. It was done as amicably as possible and my contract was terminated early at the end of September. Two weeks later I started a job as a cover supervisor at a local school.

I am now looking at applying for NQT jobs again starting at Easter or September 2011. My question is, what do I put on the application form with regards to the school that I left? When I asked my Union, they said I didn't have to put down the school which I quit on the application form, but that if asked at interview if I'd ever started an NQT job somewhere, I'd have to tell the truth. However, I started the cover supervisor job in October, so won't it look a bit funny that I didn't have a job in September? People have told me to say that I needed a break after the training etc but I don't want to lie and I'm worried they might be able to find out every school I've worked at. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated! thank you

2. I started an NQT job in September and for various reasons, I left. It was done as amicably as possible and my contract was terminated early at the end of September. Two weeks later I started a job as a cover supervisor at a local school.

I am now looking at applying for NQT jobs again starting at Easter or September 2011. My question is, what do I put on the application form with regards to the school that I left? When I asked my Union, they said I didn't have to put down the school which I quit on the application form, but that if asked at interview if I'd ever started an NQT job somewhere, I'd have to tell the truth. However, I started the cover supervisor job in October, so won't it look a bit funny that I didn't have a job in September? People have told me to say that I needed a break after the training etc but I don't want to lie and I'm worried they might be able to find out every school I've worked at. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated! thank you

3. I think honesty is the best way forward. If you are applying for jobs in the same LA, heads talk. You don't want to be in a situation where your new HT mentions your name to old HT and they find out that you haven't been truthful....it won't really start you off on a very good footing!

4. rc07

rc07 New commenter

I agree with what the previous poster said. Be totally honest about it, otherwise it could come back on you and you'd just be worrying about it. You can almost (depending on why you did leave) turn it into a positive - you realised you needed a break, are now ready for the challenge, used that first few weeks in the job to identify weak areas etc etc.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You don't have to put any reasons etc on your covering letter but be prepare to answer questions on it when you go (I think it will need to be on your application form for CRB etc)
    You could try "in the short time I was at SCHOOL.... however" and state your reasons for leaving?
    I'm also worried if I ever get an interview on how to say I left my school, not an easy question to answer without coming across as being resentful...
    Best of luck! x

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You must provide accurate information on an application form anything less could lead to dismissal. . In addition the period you were employed in September is the start of the non induction 16 months supply period which has to run from that date.You should focus on the factors which make you an effective teacher now and the experience you have gained in cover supervision

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Actually, your one month as a teacher in September as a teacher did not start your 16 month supply allowance counting down as your were registered on Induction (even though you didn't complete an Induction term). The 16 months allowance allows you to teach on a non-Induction basis in the State 5-16 sector.
    You have since only done CS work so still have your entire 16 month allowance to use for non-Induction teaching if you can't immediately get another Induction post when you want to return to teaching.

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The 16 month rule runs from the first date of non induction supply and if less than a term was served then induction has not been assessed, therefore the teacher was employed on non induction supply so unfortunately the supply rule still applies. The rule also continues to hold until induction has been completed.

9. I would add that in some exceptional circumstances LAs have accepted a 'false start' and not started the 16 month supply rule as the post was not - when started supply but inductable. If there was an early release some LAs have simply discounted that time.
    James