1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for teaching jobs abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by coxy15, Jul 26, 2015.

1. coxy15

coxy15 New commenter

Hello,

I am a young (25) PE teacher, I've just completed my NQT year but now I want to go and teach abroad, ideally in South Korea. As I am young I feel that now is the optimum time to go and experience teaching in another country while I don't have any major commitments. As a fully qualified teacher I am assuming (perhaps falsely) that I should be able to secure a teaching post in South Korea fairly quickly.

However, I have no experience of this situation before, so I don't really know where to start. A few questions that I have are:

1) Do I NEED a TEFL Qualification to give me a decent chance of getting a job? They are fairly expensive and if I dont need one then I would rather not bother getting one. Im hoping that my teaching experience to date is attractive enough for Korean schools to employ me

2) WHERE do I apply for jobs? I've tried looking through recruitment companies such as Reed, Hays, Randstad etc but they dont have much on there. I've also tried googling around but it's very hard to know which companies are reputable and which aren't which makes it a risky way of getting a job in a foreign country!

3) How quickly do trained teachers generally secure jobs in foreign countries? As I do not curently have a job for September, I am signing up to supply agencies as a Plan B, but I would love to have a job in South Korea by October at the latest. Is this realistic/likely?

Any answers to these questions, or additional advice would be great, especially if you have experience of working in other countries.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What do you want to teach? If PE in an international school, then no, you don't need TEFL. If you want to teach English in a language school, then yes, TEFL will be very useful.

Many international schools start recruiting in November/December for the following academic year. There may still be a few decent jobs floating around (there are always people who drop out, for a variety of reasons), and the less attractive schools may still have openings. So you might get lucky, but you might be better off going with Plan B for this year, and applying for a position abroad next year.

If you would just like to get abroad for next academic year and are not set on South Korea, then please PM me, as the school where I work (international primary) has a couple of vacancies and your PE skills would be of great interest to the school.