1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for TA job after PGCE?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by simplyme1, Apr 3, 2016.

1. simplyme1

simplyme1 New commenter

Hello all,

I am currently doing my final year PGCE in teaching learners with learning difficulties at an FE College. I have started applying for teaching jobs, either in special schools and FE Colleges with Supported Learning departments. However, I was also considering to apply for TA jobs (not LSA) to gain more experience, but not 100% sure on it.

Also, currently working part time as a LSA at a post-16 college and teaching for 4 hours a week but I would like to find a job elsewhere.

I would be very grateful for any advice/responses! :)

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Is your PGCE for post 16 learners or for school age students? Most special schools expect teachers to teach any age group so they usually look for staff qualified to teach all age groups.
    TA jobs are a possible way in to schools but it really depends on the local area and the school / academy.

3. simplyme1

simplyme1 New commenter

My PGCE is for post 16 learners so I was thinking of applying for QTS so that I would be able to teach in special needs schools. Otherwise, I would only be able to teach in a special needs department within a post 16 establishment and there are not many jobs in that sector.

4. gemmahayden86

gemmahayden86 New commenter

I am also just completing my PGCE and I plan to apply for TA, LSA jobs until I am able to work in a full time teaching job. I feel that I need to be able to keep my foot in the door and then when a teaching opportunity comes up in that establishment I will be able to apply for that.