1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for subject leader roles

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Ljay279, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Ljay279

Ljay279 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am currently applying for jobs starting in September and some of them are subject leader roles as I feel ready for this next step. My only real question is would you expect to see a data breakdown for that particular subject? In the school where I was teaching A-levels, I only had two sets of results and they were with very small classes.

Just wondering and if there are any other tips for my applications please help. I am familiar being a sole teacher of this subject who basically performs a subject leader role in terms of paperwork but not line management so I am looking for advice on this as well.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Make sure you read the job description/person spec for each role advertised and target your covering letter/application form to meet them e.g. 'must be able to use data to track student performance' - include an outline of how you do this and the impact. I have never had to produce my data at an interview but make sure you know your data if asked. Good luck!

Trendy Art likes this.
  3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Good advice above. Results are results nonetheless even with a small number of students.

Remember that the data breakdown is part of the story. As a candidate for subject leader at interview I would say that it is important to show examples of what you have done with data and the transferable skills you would apply if you were successfully appointed. It's also important to show how you would work with people and your impact on their ability to teach for example.

4. Ljay279

Ljay279 New commenter

thank you both! :)