1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for student finance

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sheffield_lad, Feb 6, 2011.

1. sheffield_lad

sheffield_lad New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm still waiting to hear back from Keele whether I have an interview for Secondary English or not (they've had my application for four weeks now!), but something occured to me today about finance that's worried me.
    I was just wondering, when they ask for your household income for means tested, will I have to include my own income in that? I currently live with my mum after graduating in July, and have had a full time job since September, on a salary of about 13 grand a year. My mum also earns about the same, and it is just us two living in council accommodation. When it comes to applying for student finance, will this push me above the threshold for maximum grant/loan or will it just be my parent's income that is taken into consideration?

Thanks

2. sheffield_lad

Hi everyone,

I'm still waiting to hear back from Keele whether I have an interview for Secondary English or not (they've had my application for four weeks now!), but something occured to me today about finance that's worried me.
    I was just wondering, when they ask for your household income for means tested, will I have to include my own income in that? I currently live with my mum after graduating in July, and have had a full time job since September, on a salary of about 13 grand a year. My mum also earns about the same, and it is just us two living in council accommodation. When it comes to applying for student finance, will this push me above the threshold for maximum grant/loan or will it just be my parent's income that is taken into consideration?

Thanks

3. Your current income doesn't need to be disclosed - only your predicted non-earned income like investment and bank interests while you are on the course. If you are aged 25 or over on 1st Sept, then you are an independent student and your parental income is disregarded. Even if you are a dependent student, you still get full support for an income up to £25k a year.

4. sheffield_lad

ok so im under 25. Does that mean in any application it will be solely my mother's income taken into consideration, meaning I will be entitled to the full grant?