1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for September roles

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by aman_dhesi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. aman_dhesi

aman_dhesi New commenter

Good Morning

I am a NQT and have completed two terms. I have been doing supply teaching since January which has been up and down. I have been applying for jobs for September but so far I have not been selected for an interview. I have had interviews in the past so I have had successful applications before. Is it harder to get interviews for September roles due to the volume of applications? I have started to panic if I will get a job for September or will I be doing supply. I have done 5 applications so far and have been unsuccessful in 3 and still waiting for 2. The subject I teach is Business Studies.

Look forward to your responses.

Mr D

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Five applications is not many. At this point in the year, everyone currently training will be applying, and as they begin to get jobs, there will be fewer people applying for each post. After May, serving teachers are also knocked out, as they will have passed the resignation date. There's always a last wave of vacancies after the May resignation deadline, and there's plenty of time before that.

Get someone to have a look at your applications and check whether there are improvements you could make. Tailor applications to the schools - obviously much of what you say will be the same, but demonstrate that you've researched the school, and make sure you address anything they ask for.