1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for SENCO - no experience please help!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by beccy9876, Feb 14, 2009.

1. this was really what I was thinking when I said about schools thinking ahead - if every school was required at all times to have a trained SENCo, then they would need back up people like this - in just the same way work places always have to have trained first aid staff.
    I had another thought about schools being given up to three years to train SENCos - what is to stop them having someone in post for three years untrained, and then swapping them for someone else - they could go on for ever without getting anyone trained!

2. I have been a SENCO since 1995 - no other qualifcation to date other than PGCE and teaching experience.
    I would be 100% happy to take on an SEN qualification but....
    Not to study in own time? And i dont get enough release time anyway in SENCO role so how would I get this qualification?

BB

3. My course was an evening course and I had to do the coursework at the weekends. The teaching I did during the school week on my target students - I didn't get time off to do the course, but the service did pay and I gained a qualification that has brought in more money as I now do consultancy for local schools as I have now gone part time for the service. You get the qualification if you are willing to put in the effort!!

4. I'm currently Head of English and am thinking of transfering [or asking to be transferred] to the SEN dept [currently we have no SENco].
    Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

5. Hi everyone,
    I hope you are well. I've found your posts most insightful indeed. I am embarking on a career in SEN/EAL and found the advice you gave Gabri incredibly helpful (a couple of years ago now, wow!). I am a Music teacher and am very passionate about SEN and have created my own Voice, Music and Movement Curriculum, which I've successfully delivered alongside the SEN dept of each school in which I have worked. I'm between roles at present and have now acquired my ESOL certificate, basic Makaton sign language and am currently studying British Sign Language in the hope of working within the SEN environment full time, my plan being to combine my music experience, meaning the school will get two for the price of one!.
    Although I have always supported my school SENCO in varying capacities throughout my 8 year teaching career, I would love to find out how to go about supporting EAL children and SEN children and was wondering, well hoping really, whether you might be able to share some of your ideas and advice on lessons, planning and assessments, I'd be most grateful.
    *Any advice would be welcome*
    Thanks and very best wishes, keep up the good work.
    Himeindigo

6. bluey9

bluey9 New commenter

Fantastic. I am now in your position. Been teaching for 8 years. Any advice ?

7. sherwoodtiger

sherwoodtiger New commenter

Hi there ,I was wondering if you could advise me.I am considering going for a position of SENCO in a primary school.I have 9 years experience of teaching in a Primary school setting and have worked with children with SEN provision but there is alot I do not know .I am uncertain as to whether I would need to do more before applying.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My advice would be to recce the many comments / observations which experienced and longstanding colleagues have posted on this forum re this recurring theme. You have taught across the age and ability range and this includes students with SEND. So what ? Consider how a prospective Head looking for someone to take responsibility to lead and manage provision ( a privilege in my opinion ) in their setting might view what you have to offer ?

Someone who is seriously and naïvely ill prepared to meet the demands of this role does a huge disservice to both staff and all students.

Do you have the confidence to be the lead professional in all things relating to inclusive teaching and learning on the basis of your experience to date ?

11. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You have some up to date experience.
    You know something of working with children with special needs.
    You have some knowledge of your limitations.
    This is a good start.
    I would suggest looking at a senco job description. RAG it.
    Look at the paper work that goes with EHCPs.
    Look at the procedures for diagnosing all those categories.
    Now you're in a position to understand the cpd that you need. You will probably find some reading you can invest time and money into.
    Then you need to find an organisation for the senco training. This is time consuming. My colleague had to attend several days training complete several assignments and do a small research project.
    If you're still serious, good luck.