1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for post in Wales - issues to consider?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pinski1971, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Apologies - have posted this on two forums as not quite sure which is most appropriate...
    >>>>>>
    i'm thinking seriously of applying for a Dep. Head position. Currently Assistant Head i/c T&L. I'm in England and the new post is in Wales. Does anybody have any advice on key issues I need to be aware of? I have the feeling that the school is due an Estyn visit and my school had Ofsted Outstanding just last year, with my two specific areas graded as such. I don't actually think I have such a chance, as it's a good school and will get a lot of interest - a lot of it I'm up for with a 'go for it' attitude - but the English/Welsh thing is new to me. Any tips would be most gratefully received!

2. Apologies - have posted this on two forums as not quite sure which is most appropriate...
    >>>>>>
    i'm thinking seriously of applying for a Dep. Head position. Currently Assistant Head i/c T&L. I'm in England and the new post is in Wales. Does anybody have any advice on key issues I need to be aware of? I have the feeling that the school is due an Estyn visit and my school had Ofsted Outstanding just last year, with my two specific areas graded as such. I don't actually think I have such a chance, as it's a good school and will get a lot of interest - a lot of it I'm up for with a 'go for it' attitude - but the English/Welsh thing is new to me. Any tips would be most gratefully received!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not able to help much as don't actually live in Wales, just have some links. I believe, an ability to speak a little Welsh, (simple greetings, classroom instructions etc). even in the English speaking schools is expected. Perhaps someone who works in such a school can clarify whether that's true or not. If it's North Wales, I'm almost certain you'
    I've been looking at the Welsh area and they do seem to have mainly Heads and Deputy posts advertised at the moment, so whether that indicates fierce competition or not I'm not sure.
    You can but try.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This will depend entirely on where it is in Wales, and what type of school it is.
    Try looking at the Local Education website. Does it give an option to read it all in Welsh? Does it make any comment about Welshness in schools? (I've just invented that word - don't go using it!).
    What about the school details on their website - and do the actual job details require Welsh? If they do, then that might be a tip not to apply!
    My grandchildren in Denbighshire go to a secondary school with 3 streams: all English, all Welsh and bilingual. Presumably they have English speakers in 2 of the 3!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars