1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for PGDE with only english experience?

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by ManxOwl, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ManxOwl

ManxOwl New commenter

Will only having English school experience be a barrier to getting onto a Scottish PGDE course?

I've recently graduated from a Fine Art degree and I'm currently employed as a LSA in an english high school. I'm wanting to move to, and teach in Scotland so I'm planning to apply to do a PGDE in Glasgow or Strathclyde. However I have no experience of the scottish education system and I am worried this will affect my application.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Nope. There are lots of non-Scots on PGDE courses and even Scottish applicants will not have experience of teaching the current Scottish curriculum/qualifications as they are relatively new.

ManxOwl and bonxie like this.
  3. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Doesn't matter.

Sell any experience you have working with young people regardless of where it has been geographically.

bonxie likes this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You won't need to sell anything. PGDE courses are undersubscribed in most subjects.

5. Are DLITE students entitled to a student loan.

6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

No problem getting in - presume you will be teaching Art? However, it's unlikely you'll get the probation year as you've not lived in Scotland for the prerequisite time, so will have to do the alternative route (supply) or head back south before you get full registration.