1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for permanent & explaining supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Oct 16, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Hi, I am feeling I need to start applying for some permanent roles as the abrupt endings (cited previously) of long term supply posts combined with the lack of a regular wage is starting to frustrate me. I have done supply for three years and have been lucky but am starting to feel my luck is running out.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if anyone here has any advice on how to explain three years of supply on your CV? The last interview I had asked me about this and they seemed to imply it somehow made me a bad person!

Thanks

bella2891 and pepper5 like this.
  2. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I stress it makes me versatile. I have to get used to different routines, exam specs, timings of day.

3. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I’m in a similar position. I say that it has made me a much better teacher (I know it genuinely has) because it is very difficult.
    Also stress that it is a great way to get to know schools in an area.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Doesn't it give you an advantage? You can point out that you have experience of various schools in the area and that this school is in fact the one you would rather work at because …. whatever.

5. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

If you want to then you could tell them you have been fitting work in around caring for a sick family member, supply was a great way to keep teaching, experience a variety of settings, exploring what works in different schools and at the same time take care of said family member during prolonged periods of hospitalisation without the need to disrupt work

This was the case for me however it was no lie

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Adding from @The-Gaffer it allowed you to
    a. develop new skills
    b. really adapt to the new GCSE specifications and do some independent studies in some key areas
    c. the flexibility enabled you to do up your home including completely landscaping your garden, which you couldn't do as a full time teacher because you always needed at, least half of your holidays to plan, plan, plan. And now you have a beautiful home, you KNOW you find the work/home balance a lot easier to cope with and be a happier and better teachero_O.
    d. learn a new language
    e. write a novel
    f. appear on Big Brother, win, and now your career as a reality TV star is beginning to wane.

Just make sure what you make up you can back up.;)

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi @lovejoy_antiques

I would tell them the truth putting a positive spin on it like greeneyes says.

Take your time choosing a school since you dont want to go somewhere and be trapped in awful conditions.

Look around very carefully.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Yes, I wouldn't bend the truth too much! A lot of my friends are amazed that I am able to go to a new school, sort out the planning (when it's left!), organise the day, learn children's names and implement an array of behaviour strategies. Dressed in better language, this is what will sell you. Supply teachers need to be organised, flexible, adaptable and deliver a range of lessons so that the children's education can continue smoothly.
    I honestly believe all teachers - especially Heads (eh, @Jesmond12?!) should be required to undertake supply teaching in some form - it would provide the best CPD!

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's probably an advantage - I got a permanent job pretty easily after some time on supply.

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

BertieBasset2

You explain it so well.

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Ah, thanks, Pepper! I do get on my high horse about supply teaching!

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  12. lovejoy_antiques

Definitely, I don't want to go out of the supplying pan into the fire. The problem is you never know quite what a place is like until you're in there. But still it's what you can tolerate, no place is going to be perfect. I just don't want to end up somewhere where you have to face daily rudeness and verbal abuse from kids who have sussed out management are a bunch of feeble apologists looking to pin the blame for every incident on the teacher. I've seen too much of that management style during my time in this profession.

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

HI @lovejoy_antiques

Yes, no place is going to be perfect and as you say, the dilemma is you never what a place is like until you have signed on the dotted line.

Stil, at least you can take a bit of time to have a real good look around.

BertieBassett2 and agathamorse like this.
  14. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I was struggling to even get interviews and then the head at my last place told me I needed to really play up that i was looking for permanence and a place to belong. He said most heads think supply don't want this and so are over looked. I changed my statement with this in mind and got 3 interviews and am now in a fixed term (hopefully leading to perm) role.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is no doubt that supply teaching does make you more versatile. The downside is that many HT's will consider a long period on supply as a negative because you will not have day-to-day impact on the same classes.

My personal opinion is that if you spend too long on supply (three years plus) then you probably are a long way out of touch to deal with a permanent role quite so easily.

16. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, Lovejoy

Do you think it makes a difference if you have taken long-term roles during the supply period? My pattern seems to be that I alternate between daily supply and long term placements...

I also would really like something more established...

BertieBassett2 and pepper5 like this.
  17. lovejoy_antiques

Feel free to hijack! My supply history in basically 3 long placements where I was a timetabled teacher planning lessons, marking, exam entries and the odd parents evening. So it's not like I've spent 3 years supervising the making of posters!

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I don't think you will have a problem getting a permanent job; the problem is finding somewhere that has good working conditions in a school.

19. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Do we work in the same country? This sort of advice is great for the imaginary world where every interview (if you even make the shortlist) has 5 equally capable and besuited candidates and any choice would work out perfectly well for the school.
    Similarly, isn't there a recruitment crisis, so will the HT instead consider this vital question,
    "Is @peakster better than nobody?"

DISCLAIMER: Over the last 3 years I've done very nicely as Maths/Science long-term supply in bottom-end in West Yorks and so have come to the ego-boost that I am the bees-knees. It is possible that my experience doesn't reflect the bulk of most teachers' experience.

20. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Personal reasons. Family, flexibility. Knew you weren't able to commit to permanent teaching. Simple.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and Lara mfl 05 like this.