1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for other jobs.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zippycfb, Apr 15, 2012.

1. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

Where do I start. Started my NQT year in January on a maternity cover. School extremely challenging - don't get me wrong, I didn't think it would be easy and expected to have to work hard, but I didn't expect to be verbally abused on a daily basis. Even the most experienced teachers in the school have been reduced to tears by the behaviour of the pupils. Basically it's out of control. An Ofsted inspection is imminent so at least something will be done about it sooner rather than later. Despite the challenges of the school, I felt as if I was just about coping and took solace from the fact that it wasn't just me but a whole school issue.
    Then February half-term came along and my whole world was turned upside down by a sequence of devastating events. I was/am completely crushed. Went back to school after the half-term and struggled massively to make it through to Easter. The behaviour of the kids coupled with ongoing events at home made it near impossible to function, let alone teach, but I made it through and my aim was to re-group at Easter. Home situation has worsened over Easter and I am now in a position where I feel sick at the thought of going back to work. Like I have said, it was difficult enough initially, but I was in a better place mentally and felt strong enough to deal with it. Now I feel like a shell of my former self. My confidence is in ruins and I am now questioning whether I want to be a teacher at all. There is no way I can cope with the demands of being a teacher at the moment on top of everything that is happening at home.
    So I guess now I'm considering my options - as it's a maternity cover I need to give 4 weeks notice. I can't afford to not work at all so I need to have a job lined up before I leave this one. Despite not really feeling up to it, I have been looking for jobs - all different types of jobs. I think I'm going to apply for anything and everything - something manageble in my current state. My question is really to do with how all this will look to my current/future employers? Is it ok to have time out from teaching whilst I deal with this personal crisis at home? If I'm applying for 'ordinary' office jobs, who should I put down as a reference? I've also been looking at other roles in education which I perceive will be more manageble in my current state, but I do I explain wanting to back off from the stress of teaching at the moment whilst I re-adjust at home? I'm not even sure if I'll ever return to teaching to be honest the way I feel at the moment. I will be sad that I never completed my induction but at the minute my health is far more important. Sorry if all this makes no sense but nothing is making much sense at the minute, I think I just needed to vent all this.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You need to do three things.
    a) not go to school tomorrow.
    b) go and see your Dr
    c) not make any decisions about leaving at present, as you are in no state to make a proper decision, with all the stresses at home on top of coping in a very difficult professional situation.
    You can get sick pay for some time, here is a brief summary of the details:
    <h3><a name="TOC-What-level-of-pay-am-I-entitled-to-">[/URL]What level of pay am I entitled to during sick leave?</h3>Your entitlement to sick pay depends on your year of service. All teachers are entitled to sick pay of varying periods, and this is based on an annual entitlement. The entitlement year runs from 1 April. The allowances are as follows:
    Teachers in first year of service: 25 days full pay. Also, after 4 calendar months of service, you will be entitled to an additional 50 days half pay
    For the purposes of this calculation, only working days are used. So, a teacher in their first year of service or later is entitled to full pay for the first 25 working days of sickness, as well as full pay during any school holidays or weekends that fall during that time.
    That will already take you almost up to the bank holiday.and you might feel loads better by then, just from not having the awful situation of trying to juggle two stresses at the same time.
    So go and see your Dr, to get the time off that you need to regain your health, before making any final decision about leaving.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

Thank you for the prompt reply Theo. I knew all this but just needed someone to spell it out for me in black and white I think. I'm not someone who finds to easily to admit I'm finding things difficult and feel awful at the thought of letting people down so I always plough on, but usually to my own detriment. You're right, I can't even make the most simplest of decisions at the moment. I really do just think I need some time and space to re-evaluate everything in my life as I feel like the rug has been pulled from under me.
    I don't want work to think that I'm off because of school though. Obviously work is not helping me in my current state, but my it has arisen from my home situation, not school If I explain everything to the doctor, will the sick note be the effect that it's my home life that's the cause of the problem, not work? Also there is also the stigma attached to mental health issues and I didn't want to go down that route in fear of jeopardising future job opportunities but I don't have much choice I suppose. Thanks again.

4. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

Sorry, one final thing. My contract is only until 31st August, but the postholder has indicated she won't be back until next January as she intends to have the full year off. So obviously I have already been looking for jobs with a September start as a permanent job is preferable to my current temporary situation. If I do decide to go on sick leave, I will be ideally applying for jobs with a September start but I am worried about how this will look to my current employer. I don't think they will be very happy with references landing on the desks for me to leave in September whilst I'm on sick leave. Should I make them aware that I am seeking employment elsewhere at this current stage?

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

If you're ill, you're ill. It doesn't matter the reason. So when applying for positions for September, you can state that you've had x number of days off for sickness in one sickness period and that this isn't your normal rate of sickness. That should tell potential employers that you haven't been well but that generally you're at school and you're fine.
    I don't think they can ask about what illnesses you've had (although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Several weeks off could be for anything and, once you're feeling on top of the home situation again, you will revert to a more "normal" level of sick leave and your future employers will never know what you've been through.
    Good luck. Job hunting isn't easy at the best of times, let alone when you're becoming ill worrying about other stuff too.

6. Before I say what I am about to say, I would stress that if you are really not up to this emotionally/mentally/physically than you must of course follow the above advice and go to your GP. But also, please be aware that a period of sickness like this will make it difficult to gain a decent reference and secure a teaching post for September. Heads talk I'm afraid and this is the kind of thing they warn each other about because it will cost them money. It could also make job hunting - which is quite stressful anyway - really really trying as you will have these hurdles to overcome (through no fault of you own). Therefore I would decide in my mind whether I want to stick with teaching and keep going in the hope things get better OR (and this sounds like it might be the best option) go on sick leave but accept that maybe admin office jobs and the like will be more easy for you to attain when you are feeling better. I do hope you recover from this - you must put yourself first right now but I just wanted to comment on how this could possibly impact on a future teaching career / job search.