1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for old role- how not to appear 'over confident'

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by EngTeach12, Nov 8, 2017.

1. EngTeach12

EngTeach12 New commenter

Hello all,

After a few years overseas, I have made the decision to head back home. Just so happened that a role in my old school came up and I applied. I left on good terms and would love to head back there as it's a great part of the UK and I really enjoyed my time there. My family were really excited at the prospect of moving back to this area, as it would mean that they could go back to their old schools etc.

I sent in an application, what I thought was a good application. Obviously I know the school, know the procedures, so I referenced this in my application. I am under no allusion that I can just walk back into my old job. Competition for this position will be high, and I really tried to sell myself in the best way possible.

I have yet to hear back from the school re: interviews, but did get an email from an old colleague 'advising' me that it would be best not to appear 'overconfident' as some members on the recruitment committee do not know me. I don't know if this colleague has read my application and it came off that way, or they are just giving me some friendly advice (would anyone just do this?!), but I am now concerned.

IF I make it to interview, does anyone have any tips on how to appear more humble? Is that what's needed here? I am extremely nervous about the whole thing and really don't think the job is mine, but how can I make them see this? I can't exactly just tell them this can I?

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Senior commenter

Things will have changed there and there will be new staff members of all levels who may have been told how great X was, different things that you did etc. This doesn't always delight people. Your adviser may have heard something mentioned and so could just be giving you a heads up. In my last job a younger member of staff joined who was enthusiastic and hardworking, who did some work for me and I found him an asset. After a while I discovered that a number of people thought of him as 'cocky'. You can't please all the people all the time.

When you attend the interview I would make sure that you make it clear that although you enjoyed your time working there, that you realise that things change and move on. Stress your flexibility, stress any skills that you have developed in the intervening time. And who knows, maybe you'll bump into your old colleague.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

What have you learned since you left? How have you developed? What can you bring to the job that you didn't have when you left? Questions like this might help you reflect on reasons they should hire you.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Treat it as if its a new school. One difficulty old hands often get is that they can be seen as part of the problem not the solution. Management will be looking ahead not backwards.
    Do your homework on where the school is now rather than as you remember it!

jarndyce likes this.