1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for NQT in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by fleur31, May 13, 2019.

1. fleur31

fleur31 New commenter

Hi, I'm looking forward to starting my MFL (French) PGCE in England in September. I've lived here for a few years and am familiar with several of the schools in the region. However I intend to move back home to Northern Ireland once I've completed my PGCE to apply for jobs as an NQT in Northern Ireland. I understand that the job market in NI is very competitive and quite nepotistic. Is there anything I can do in advance to build contacts in preparation for applying for jobs? Can anyone shed some light on what is involved in applying for NQT positions, e.g. mentors etc.? Is it unheard of to try to build networks with schools before jobs become available? I have relatives in teaching who might be able to alert me to job openings and I returned to my former secondary school for observation days a few years ago. Other than that I'm out of the loop and quite anxious about entering the job market as an NQT away from where I'll be training (but 100% confident in moving home at that stage).