1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applying for new jobs: procedure???

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by donna1107, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Ive also posted this in primary, so sorry if you're reading this for a second time!!!!

Im after some advice. Im currently an NQT on a one year contract. The school were quite crafty really cos the contract states that its a one year contract due to temporary increase in number, but basically its really a maternity cover. I still need to ask if the contract will be renewed, but im pretty sure that as the teachers who are on maternity leave are coming back at easter, my contract wont be renewed. And to be honest, im not sure i want it to be renewed. Anyway, ive seen a vacancy for a school and i really want to go for it. I want to relocate back to my hometown so this school is perfect. Im planning on seeing it next week, and hopefully then applying. The vacancy closes on the 2nd Feb. Basically, im not sure about the procedure of letting the school know etc. Im aware that the new school will prob request references before the interview, which means ill need to talk to the head. But what then if i dont get it, and my head is funny with me. She obviously then doesnt have to extend my contract as she knows that im looking elsewhere!!! Its very confusing!!! Technically, im not handing in my notice, im just looking elsewhere! Advice please!!!

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You should tell the head that you're applying for permanent posts. She would not expect otherwise, and will either wish you luck or ask if you would consider staying on after your contract ends. Either way, you could say that you're particularly interested in school x because of where it is.
    If you resign by end of Feb, you can leave at Easter (unless your contract specifies a different notice period). Given the difficulty in securing contracts, I would accept a permanent contract if offered. You can still look for, and apply for, other posts.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

If you are only on a year's contract, then you are more than within your rights to look for new posts for September 2011.
    Simply catch a couple of minutes with your HT and explain that you've begun to look for new positions and, due to the scarcity of posts, are looking early. Tell her/him that you'd love to stay on, should there be a position available, but in the meantime are looking and would like to put the HT as a referee on applications.
    Schools generallt DO ask for references before shortlisting; it's considered very bad form indeed if you do not notify your HT before references are requested.
    This isn't how it work in some other jobs, but it's the done thing in teaching and it's best not to upset anyone by keeping things secret. At the end of the day, your post is a limited time offer, so they have to expect you to be looking. They might be a bit miffed, however, if you leave before your contract is up. Then again, if they cannot guarantee a position at the end of the contract, they have to understand that a permanent position is something you cannot turn down.