1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for new jobs not sure where to start

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lcollins1982, Oct 27, 2015.

1. lcollins1982

lcollins1982 New commenter

Hi all
    I'm looking at moving schools at the end of this academic year. I however have no clue where to start when applying for jobs.

This may sound a little off but I have been at my current school for 8 years I started there on a one year maternity cover and I haven't left.

When I applied for this job I used the application form and a cover letter which is now massively out of date. I just wondered if anybody had any advice on where to start when looking for a new post and what schools now look for from candidates?

The reason that I am looking is that I feel very under valued at my current school for the work that I do. I love the school itself but I think it's time to move on to pastures new where hopefully I will feel more appreciated.

Thanks
    Laura

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Laura, you have come to the right place for exactly the advice that you need!

Loads of posters have said how the advice here has got them a job, so you can sit back and take it all in.

:(

Firstly not only is your application letter vastly out of date, you shouldn't have just one letter, but one which is tailored exactly to each school's requirements.

Which brings me to the next point. It's not what schools are looking for in candidates, it's what each individual school is looking for.

As you can see from what I've said, things have changed enormously since you last applied for a job, and you weren't to know that.

Now for your homework.

I have written a number of advice articles on applying for a job in a school.

Some of them aren't relevant to you, but may be to other posters, so I'm including them.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application
    How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...***NEW ***
    Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes