1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for new job - with different easter hols

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by claire810, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Have just been to look round a school and am keen to apply. Just realised hols are different for Easter, so whilst my current school and potential school both have 2 weeks hol the cross over should I be successful in getting the job would mean i'd only get one! [​IMG]
    Then I started to wonder what the impact on pay would be.Would my current school pay for my 1 weeks hol? Or 2 weeks? Or is that just very very wishful thinking? Thanks for any advice

2. That looks bad! Only expect a weeks pay but would that be from my current school?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Your old school would presumably pay you until 30 April as this is the Easter resignation date, no matter when the holidays fall!

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Ignore that! ( Easter holidays are treated differently!) Your old school should pay you until the day before you start with your new school who will then take over.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It won't affect your overall salary, but unfortunately it will mean that you're effectively working for an extra week without any extra pay.
    Your old school will pay you up to the Sunday before you start your new post.
    I suppose given that they are in different LEAs, you could just write to your old school saying that you wish to leave at the end of the Summer Term, and that therefore your last working date will be (whatever the last day of their holidays is) and hope that they pay you for the full holiday, and that your new LEA starts paying you so it overlaps. Not sure where you stand with that if they later find out, though. Might be worth checking with your union to see what they say on the matter before trying it. I guess it could be fraud?

6. Might try speaking to unions then just to clarify.
    In actual fact I really don't want another job until at least spring bank - which is only a few weeks later - because i'm year 6 and really want to see them through their sats. I told them at the start of the year that we're all in this together and I meant it! Really don't want to abandon them but the new job would an ideal progression for me and so difficult not to go for.
    Has anybody else been in similar position - potentially leaving just before SATS. It would feel so disloyal - but am I just soft?

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

If you see a job which would be a good career move you can't afford not to go for it. Your pupils would still be taught and in my view oneYr 6 lot of SATs aren't worth putting your career on hold for. Those pupils won't remember you for all that long anyway, except as perhaps a vaguely pleasant memory as they get older.

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

They'll be nearly there, anyway: so long as you leave the new teacher sensible information like which past papers they haven't done yet, and which topics you would have revisited in the last week or two, you won't be doing any harm.
    I do know of one case (secondary) where two neighbouring schools managed to agree on a member of staff moving at half-term, so that exam classes weren't disrupted. It's relatively unlikely that that would work (the new school would need to have someone who could bridge the gap), but I guess it's not impossible.

9. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Go for the job. If you get it, negotiate a September start, or after SATS. I have!!

10. Well done you!! They must have really wanted you!
    That would be me ideal scenario but lots of valid points on post (thankyou :))