1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for my own job... what do they want?!?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by inferno6, Feb 15, 2011.

1. inferno6

inferno6 New commenter

Hi,
    I am an NQT on a 2 term contract and it's that time of year where they're considering whether to keep me on or not. There are 2 of us NQTs and 2 internal jobs been advertised. As far as I am aware there are no other applicants so the jobs are pretty much ours anyway! (inner city school, undesirable location and behaviours etc)
    My question is, my head already knows how fantastic I am, and I really do want to stay, but what exactly do they want from me at interview if they already know everything?!

I think I am overcomplicating matters, but at the same time I dont want to appear complacent and not come prepared for my interview!
    Any advice on applying for a job I'm already in?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't assume just because they know you you don't have to 'sell your qualities & abilities' at interview. (That's the mistake I made last year when on an internal interview!)
    Treat it like any interview; mention what you can bring to the school, what you can offer to the school etc.
    You can mention how you could benefit the school as you're familiar with discipline procedures, reward systems, children & staff if it crops up but if not treat it like any normal interview.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on advice!
    The main problem with internal candidates is that both in the written application and the interview, you tend to think They know what I do.
    Treat it just like an external application, and give chapter and verse.
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

*STOP PRESS * There will also be a Northern Applications Workshop in Manchester on Saturday March 5th. www.tesweekendworkshop14.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!