1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for Media PGCE

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by nanrat, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Hi all,

Im applying for a PGCE in sept 09 for the sept 10 intake. My first choice is CSSD but iv heard its extremely hard to get into. My back up is the Media PGCE at the Learning Institute in Cornwall but other than that I haven't found anyother unis offering the exclusive PGCE in Media and not Media with English. There are several PGCE's in the Creative and Media Diploma but I would rather media studies.

Im just wondering if any of you know of any other institutions offering a Media PGCE. I don't think I could apply for an English and Media PGCE as I don't have an A level in an English subject. I do have a Communication Studies A Level though.

Also, for those of you that went to CSSD, how did you find it? What sort of experience did you have? By the time of applying I will have 3 weeks work experience in 3 schools in the media/film/communication studies departments, 3 weeks work with disabled children age 13-18, 9 weeks of media experience in various places and Im predicted a 2.1 on my degree which is BA Television Production at Bournemouth.

Thanks for your advice, sorry for the long Post!

2. Hi all,

Im applying for a PGCE in sept 09 for the sept 10 intake. My first choice is CSSD but iv heard its extremely hard to get into. My back up is the Media PGCE at the Learning Institute in Cornwall but other than that I haven't found anyother unis offering the exclusive PGCE in Media and not Media with English. There are several PGCE's in the Creative and Media Diploma but I would rather media studies.

Im just wondering if any of you know of any other institutions offering a Media PGCE. I don't think I could apply for an English and Media PGCE as I don't have an A level in an English subject. I do have a Communication Studies A Level though.

Also, for those of you that went to CSSD, how did you find it? What sort of experience did you have? By the time of applying I will have 3 weeks work experience in 3 schools in the media/film/communication studies departments, 3 weeks work with disabled children age 13-18, 9 weeks of media experience in various places and Im predicted a 2.1 on my degree which is BA Television Production at Bournemouth.

Thanks for your advice, sorry for the long Post!

3. I did the Central PGCE and it was great. Just do your research about the issues affecting Media Studies - here's a great start - read the other messages. Go on Mediaedu/film education sites to look at teaching resources perhaps.
    Find out a little about the different course specs - OCR, AQA, WJEC and Edexcel and do a little reading about the diploma.
    Tech skills are good too - maybe bring evidence of photoshop/video editing experience.
    Are you finishing your degree this year? If so, you might want to try getting a Teaching Assistant Position in a school or volunteering some technical Media support.
    Hope that helps.

4. Hi thanks for the reply. Ok Ill do some research. Im doing some work experience next week for 3 weeks in 3 different schools who all offer media related courses so Ill ask them about the course specs they offer.
    I finish my degree next year (ending the second year at the moment) So will graduate in 2010. Do you think I should apply for that September, or perhaps wait a year and apply for 2011. This would give me a year to try to get a job as a teaching assistant and gain more experience. Iv read on here that the applicants that make it on to the PGCE tend to be older so im wondering if applying straight after my degree would be a disadvantage.
    Iv got plenty of short films that Iv edited/camera/sound op on from my degree which I could show. Im quite advanced with Final Cut Pro too.

Did you find it hard to get a job as just a Media teacher when you graduated? Im worried because many media teaching posts expect you to be able to teach english aswell.
    [​IMG]

5. Thanks guys!

Ok I will probably apply for 2010. If I dont succeed then I can always do a year of more teaching/media experience which will benefit my app. How can I show that im serious about teaching? Just through work experience iv done? What was your interview like?
    That reassures me that CSSD has a good rep for media pgce. I'd hate to gain the qualification and find I couldn't get employment.

Good luck to you too
    pinkie362! Ill let you know any more advice I get. If you do apply for 2010 maybe ill see you there!

6. Hi there how did you solve this problem . I'm in the same situation ?