1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for leadership position

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ds2d12, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

would you apply, even if someone with more experience and a proven track record was also applying?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If you've lost before you apply then why bother applying?

Thing is that is only in your head, what about these positives?
    1. The 'favoured one' might go elsewhere or mess up the interview.
    2. You could do with the practice so you do it right when it really matters.
    3. If you come a close second to the 'favoured one' the school may contact you direct should another post crop up soon. Or the favourite may over-haggle giving you the chance.
    4. If you wait for the Dead Cert at a perfect school then you'll probably wait forever.
    However you need to get your approach and confidence sorted for the interview. Give it your best and don't give up until the Fat Lady sings (other clichés are available)

Rott Weiler and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

It’s an internal position. The school is restructuring the leadership team and a current leader will be applying for this position as their old position is being removed. I know you’re right, but equally I believe this person is a great leader and would be the dead cert. Should this person not get the position, the school would be required to pay them 3 years protection pay anyway.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Do they have a more positive and optimistic outlook than you too?

Because that could be what gets them the job.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Good interview practice, and you don't have to blame yourself if you don't get it.

I thought that when things were being restructured, sometimes the new posts were ring-fenced for those losing the old ones - it makes sense given the pay protection. So perhaps there's a reason they are not doing that - maybe they're open to some new blood taking on the role, or maybe this person is actually also applying for promotion elsewhere, and so they know they may need somebody else.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No, but my confidence is never very high and I suffer from anxiety, so don't take what I'd do as what you should do.

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

There are some good and accurate responses on here for the OP.

If you have that attitude then you aren’t going to succeed- not only in this application but in the future too.

You obviously have some confidence in your leadership ability if you are even considering leadership posts. Irrespective, of whether an applicant who is applying has more experience, the recruitment team might be looking for a different calibre of candidate- for example- someone who they can develop and mould into the role.

Are you on the SLT at the moment?

I’m assuming that if the person who’s job is being removed will be made redundant if they don’t secure this job. As a HT, if the school is required to pay 3 years ‘protection pay’, it wouldn’t make sense to make them redundant.

nomad likes this.
  8. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

You could always view this as interview experience. You might even surprise yourself and get the job! Obviously, experience is important but you may demonstrate a drive and vision not evident in other candidates. Good luck.