1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for KS1 Coordinator role

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, May 23, 2011.

1. Im applying for an internal vacancy for the role of KS1 Coordinator, and am up against a more experienced teacher. I just wondered if anyone had any advice, tips etc that might give me the edge.
    I do genuinly feel passionate about the role, and have been in KS1 since I began teaching 3 years ago - the other teacher has been in KS2 for a few years and has only just moved back down to KS1 this year.
    Does length of experience always mean more?
    Does anyone have any idea of questions that might be asked aside from the usual how will I move KS1 on, etc?

Thankyou in advance.

2. Im applying for an internal vacancy for the role of KS1 Coordinator, and am up against a more experienced teacher. I just wondered if anyone had any advice, tips etc that might give me the edge.
    I do genuinly feel passionate about the role, and have been in KS1 since I began teaching 3 years ago - the other teacher has been in KS2 for a few years and has only just moved back down to KS1 this year.
    Does length of experience always mean more?
    Does anyone have any idea of questions that might be asked aside from the usual how will I move KS1 on, etc?

Thankyou in advance.

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Difficult question without seeing the Job description.
    Will you be responsible for:
    Managing other staff/lsas?
    Overseeing standards and progress in KS1?
    Ensuring smooth transistion between Foundation and KS1? KS1/KS2?
    Continuing Foundation practise in Y1 eg Plan Do Review,child iniatiated activities
    Developing the curriculum between Y1/2
    Observing teaching and learning in your KS?
    Moderating work through the KS?
    Ensuring swift interventions for stuck and stalled children?
    -dont underestimate what you'll be responsible for. Ive done it before and from day one, it was made very clear I had to be the BEST teacher in that KS, I was accountable for the standards and the teaching/learning of the other staff in it, as well as sit in SMT meeting twice a week and leading colleagues on other projects

4. So..all of the above it seems!

5. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

well, obviously it is different for different schools but that is my experience. Be totally sure that you are capable of all of the above and that you ARE the best teacher in that KS. I was not as we had a superteach AST in her third yr who worked 60 hours a week and was fanatical. I was not, I had a life, good friends and a personality. So I promptly left.

6. Here here! If you aren't the best and working as hard (or harder) than others in your team they wont respect you. My KS leader has the shabbiest room, the least inspiring curriculum and the most laid back attitude. 3 new team members were employed to 'inspire' learning and get the school from satisfactory to good. We've had Ofsted and all 3 of us got outstanding and said person did not. If our SLT isn't shuffled around we are all off...hello satisfactory school (again!)
    Good luck!!!

7. I would not say im the best teacher in my KS1, No...there is another teacher who has been teaching for years and is wonderful, whom has done the role of KS1 Coord before and didn't want the responsibility so let it go.
    That leaves me, and the third teacher who I would say I am on par with - though I do find him a little KS2 orientated and am not sure how much he 'gets' the initial stages of learning to read and write. I may not be the most experienced, but am incredibly organised and am very motivated and passionate about the key stage. The experienced ex-coord has said she will support me with the role where possible which I am grateful for. If she does decide to go for it again, she will get it and that would be the right choice.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you really want the post and believe you can do it, then go for it. It would be silly not to.

If nothing else, it tells your school that you are keen to get on and progress your career, which they will remember in the future whatever happens this time.

Good Luck

9. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I have no experience of interview for this role, but thought that perhaps they might ask you about how you would deal with conflict/differing opinions in the KS staff.

10. Thats an interesting one that I hadn't thought about, thankyou!