1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CharlotteD9, Feb 25, 2016.

1. CharlotteD9

CharlotteD9 New commenter

I'm an experienced teacher and currently on maternity leave. I want and need part time hours and ideally need to be at a school closer to home. I haven't yet spoken to my head, he has a reputation of losing good staff because he refuses them part time contracts. The school I'm currently at is 50mins away and I would rather be closer.
    The first few jobs that came up I emailed before applying to ask if they would consider part time and have been told no straight off. I want to check I'm doing this the right way round.
    Do I carry on emailing before I apply? Apply and then state it when asked to interview? Or ask at interview?
    I'm being refused before they even know how amazing I am ;-)

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Without writing a lengthy explanation, you might want to consider discussing this with your union as potential sex discrimination - which is relevant to the recruitment process.

If recruiting schools are not even prepared to consider part-time (in all its permutations / job-shares etc) they may be indirectly discriminating, because women are more likely to be adversely affected by this and you are currently experiencing it.

There is information about this here - but then ring your union and ask them whether your particular circumstances fit the descriptors.