1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applying for jobs whilst on sick leave

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fabulous1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and others,
    I am currently on sick leave with stress, I know the job is getting to me and I would like to apply for posts outside teaching- possibly TA - Am I allowed to do this whilst still being on the sick - or will this be viewed negatively

2. Dear Theo and others,
    I am currently on sick leave with stress, I know the job is getting to me and I would like to apply for posts outside teaching- possibly TA - Am I allowed to do this whilst still being on the sick - or will this be viewed negatively

3. Hi Fabulous1

I appreciate your dilemma as I was in the same position as you last year.

There is no law stating that people off with stress cannot apply for other jobs while being off with stress. However, I was concerned that people wouldn't shortlist me if they knew that I was off with stress, so the issue of keeping it quiet worried me (I later found out that this would be discrimination under the Equality Act 2010). I was also concerned about what my employers would think if I attended interviews while off sick and how the potential new employers would react if I became ill on the interview day (due to nerves aggravating my stress related illness). Finally, I was worried about whether the possible rejection would aggravate my illness.

In the end, I therefore decided that I wasn't ready for this hassle and that the best thing to do was give my workplace one more chance (i.e. to go back and see if things had improved. If not, I would then hand in my notice, so that I could leave at the end of the year as it would look better on my CV/job application forms). Things didn't improve. In fact, they got worse, so I left. Ok, so I left without a job to go to but I figured that given how ill I was, I needed time to fully recover and consider my options anyway (and I had a minor operation scheduled about a month after I left, so couldn't start immediately anyway which put some potential employers off). I'm glad I waited because I now have 2 part time teaching jobs (not in a school/college) that I'm very happy with. The hours are much fewer but the pay is good and my outlook (not to mention health, apart from a cold today) is even better! LOL! When the time and job market conditions are right, I'll probably go back to a college/sixth form setting (hopefully, the picture will change within the next couple of years).

My advice to you would therefore be give yourself time! Don't replace one form of anxiety with another. By all means, look actively, update your CV etc, but don't look for anything starting earlier than September (if you have a long notice period) IF you feel the way I did at the time (better but still stressed) because if you rush things, you'll be off ill in your new job too!

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do! I hope things get better for you very soon!

MsB

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent advice from Ms Brainy!
    Job hunting is stressful, and you must look after your health. Don't do anything that your Dr does not heartily approve of.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Hi.

I'm off sick due to a car accident which wasn't my fault, and not having much use of my right hand. My contract ends in august ago obviously need a job for September. I've been honest with both schools, mine knows I'm leaving and I've informed the one where my interview is. Am I breaching any contracts by going for the interview?

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, you are not. People do apply for jobs and go for interviews whilst signed off. I will say, however, that if you're capable of teaching a lesson at interview, it might be asked why you're not capable of going into work - so you need to think about that and take medical advice if necessary.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

8. Malik99

Malik99 New commenter

Am off sick due to work relate stress. i have not been paid since my leave. Can I start finding a job and resign once I find one or should I resign and then start looking for a new one ? No agency is willing to support me financially and i need to start looking for one as soon as i can.

9. roaming

roaming New commenter

Above mentioned link is not working.

10. rmagz1

rmagz1 New commenter

We have had 2 senior staff go sick with stress within 6 months of each other after falling out with the principal: the first one now has a job as an AP at a nearby school very similar to this and the second had just been appointed head of department at another very similar school. We have been covering this teachers lessons and I assume this will continue until she is replaced. It does feel as if they're too stressed to come back here but not too stressed to apply for jobs go through interviews and start in a new place all things most of us find hugely stressful!

11. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

This is a very old post from 2012 so the link would not work any longer
    Teachers on sick leave can apply for new posts and as long as they follow the contractual resignation dates then it all works. However you do need to realise that your current employer provides the reference so you need to be up front with them to inform them that they will be asked to provide a reference otherwise it comes out of the blue.