1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applying for jobs whilst 8 weeks pregnant?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by princessclairey, Sep 22, 2015.

1. princessclairey

princessclairey New commenter

Hi... I am desperately unhappy in my current job. My head of faculty is diabolical and issues spring up almost every day. The whole school is run like a business (it's part of an academy chain) and it just doesn't suit me at all. A job has come up in a LA school and I think I would be very happy there, but I am 8 weeks pregnant. I feel guilty about applying and not telling them that I am pregnant, and also that I would be taking a year 10 GCSE group only to effectively 'abandon' them for year 11. I thought I could stick it out in my current job and tried to think positively for the start of the year, but every day something happens that shows that SLT just want to take advantage of everyone and my morale is very low - and whats worse is that on certain occasions when something goes wrong due to bad management, I somehow end up getting the blame and looking bad. The tales I could tell you... anyway!! Just looking for some advice, really. If you were a HoD or headteacher and someone applying for a job was pregnant, would it annoy you? when would you want to be told? do you think it's bad form to apply for a job whilst 8 weeks pregnant?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

None of us will tell you not to apply merely because you're pregnant and whether or not a future HOD or Head might be "annoyed" is neither here nor there - apply if there is a job that suits you in a school you are certain would be better than the one in which you currently work. I add this clause advisedly - you say you "think" you would be happy there, but how sure are you? How sure are you that the HOF in that school might not be just as "diabolical" as your current one? How about the SLT?

The other issue on which you need to be sure is that your maternity rights will be transferable between an academy and an LA school.

3. princessclairey

Hi - thanks for the reply. I have visited the school and chatted with the HoD. I am friends on Facebook with the second in dept (she did her PGCE at the school I worked in previously) and another lady who works there was my maternity cover during my first maternity leave! I say that I "think" I would be happy as I would never say "I know" because in my opinion you can never be certain. The school is very similar to one I worked in before where I was very happy indeed - I only left because I wanted to be part time. The second in dept I mentioned was encouraging me to apply and telling me how lovely the school is so I have got a very good idea.

And yes I checked my maternity rights and those are safe. :)

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You've put yourself in a bit of an awkward position if you have told this school you're pregnant - you are entitled to go for jobs and interviews same as everyone else. If you've told them you're pregnant, and you don't get the job, it could be seen as discrimination.

Regarding "annoyance" - I'm a HoD in a multi subject Faculty, and my HoF arrived and then announced she was going on maternity at Christmas. I congratulated her - and then the Faculty picked itself up and carried on. Its what we do.

5. princessclairey

I haven't told them I'm pregnant. I was wondering when would be the right time.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

After you get the job.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, do NOT tell them that you are pregnant at any time during the application period. They actually don't want to know, to avoid any accusations of discrimination if you don't get the job.

Which means that you must not tell anyone on Facebook either. No posting the image of your first scan, nor excited pictures of the lopsided booties you have finally managed to knit.

This is very serious. They do not want to know as their best defence against any claim of discrimination is to be able to say that they didn't know. Your Facebook friend in the department would make that claim invalid if you posted something.

And finally - CONGRATULATIONS! A new baby is always great news!

midnight_angel and GLsghost like this.