1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applying for jobs when on long term supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by spursfan50, Nov 8, 2017.

1. spursfan50

spursfan50 New commenter

Looking for some advice if possible.

I have just begun a long term placement full time, doing PPA cover and interventions.
    Although not ideal as an NQT, the school is nice and it is a job. At the moment I am unsure as to the length but think it is until xmas at least, possibly until summer.
    Also, I have heard there is possibly a full time position coming up.

However, I have seen some other jobs and am looking to apply.
    Firstly, is this a wise decision? I need the income as I have a family, but also need to consider my career.
    Can I ask for time off to attend interviews if needed/ will they allow me.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Difficult one isn't it? On one hand you are in a nice school and those types of school are hard to come by. If you are in a nice school, you are in a very, very good position at the moment. The problem you have, however, is that if you got your job through an agency and you applied for a full time post at the school you are currently working at, the agency may want what is called a finders fee and the school may not wish to pay that, so the school may not want to hire you on that basis. So keep that in mind.

Perhaps ask your agency about time needed off for interviews? The agency could find someone to cover for you on the days you need to attend interviews. I don't think that is unreasonable. You have a family to support and they understand that. You need money like everyone else.
    If you give the agency plenty of notice, then it is not a problem for them to find someone to cover for you.

One tip about apply to other schools. Before you apply, do as much research as you possibly can into the school you are apply to: the culture, the way the school is run and the quality of its management. Can you find anyone to speak to that works at the schools? You want to try as far as possible to find another nice school like the one you are in. Chat to other supply teachers you come across to find out their views on various schools. Take your time and be choosy about where you go. If the job you are in at the moment suddenly disappears at Christmas, you are coming up to the busiest time for supply, so the agency may find you something else. - especially as they now know you and the quality of your work.

Well done for getting work and making a way for your family.

Welcome to the forum.

3. purple sparkle

purple sparkle New commenter

If I was you I’d tell a white lie when you have an interview and ring in sick. I was honest with a school (told them I had an interview) where I started long term supply before half term and they gave me 0 hours notice to terminate my employment that evening. Luckily I got another long term placement the next day.

pepper5 likes this.